For those who have been swimming in local pools

Former Member
Former Member
I finally found an outdoor pool at a nearby gym that also has an indoor pool. I'm so close to signing up, yet nervous. OTOH, I swam in mid-March, when all gyms had to close that evening. Our state was #2 in the nation with COVID cases. We are at an all time low, yet I still feel apprehensive. BTW, the pool is not busy, despite a heat wave all summer, which makes me think that people are fearful. (and fitness center confirmed that) Would love to hear from swimmers who've been swimming in outdoor/indoor pools. I know the data about chlorine killing the virus, but would feel better knowing swimmers have stayed COVID free.
  • Would love to hear from swimmers who've been swimming in outdoor/indoor pools. I know the data about chlorine killing the virus, but would feel better knowing swimmers have stayed COVID free. Our indoor pools just reopened in mid-July and all lap lanes are restricted to one swimmer per lane. At my LA Fitness, which has a 3 lane pool, they've gone further and blocked off the middle lane. At our community pools, they are running all 6 lanes, but on a reservation-only basis, with 45 minute swim slots, no locker room access and then 15 minutes between sessions to allow time for swimmers to get off the deck. In either case, a mask is mandated except when you're swimming ... even to the point where they encourage you to dry your face first after you swim, put your mask on and then finish drying the rest of your body. I've done both and felt extremely safe. Now, the big caveat is that I'm in Canada where our COVID infection rates are much lower than the US, but if you're in a one-swimmer per lane scenario, I think it's safe.
  • I have been swimming in our community's 5-lane indoor pool, six days per week, since it re-opened in June. We are able to reserve for one hour; however, I have been able to take the 9, 10, and 11 am slots every day due to the pool reservations not being at capacity. I'm in the pool for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours depending on the workout, and then I do my dryland exercises WITH MY MASK ON(!) after I swim. (By the way, for all of you mask complainers: If I can do 50 military-style push-ups (as sets of ten) with my well-fitted mask on, followed by 130 crunches, Theraband, and yoga for a full 1-1/4 hours, surely you can, too. Oh, and I'm 58 years old!) I have remained COVID-free, as far as I know. (Either that or I got it, and I'm asymptomatic! :afraid:)
  • Elaine, wow, that's impressive. I assume your indoor pool is also not that crowded, hence your ability to swim so long. The reason it's not that crowded is because of the really nice outdoor pool we also have here in the community. That's the in-demand pool in the summer, and I want nothing to do with it! It's too hot, and the water is too warm!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    pwb, if this outdoor pool had those guidelines, I would feel very safe. It's a 6 lane lap pool attached to the kids' pool (kids not allowed in lap lanes) but I am concerned about kids peeing and snotting in the water. Locker rooms are open, there are no reserve times b/c it's not that busy. Masks are required in and out of the pool.
  • Former Member
    Elaine, wow, that's impressive. I assume your indoor pool is also not that crowded, hence your ability to swim so long.
  • Former Member
    I know what you mean! It's been in the 90's here for 2 months straight. And the outdoor pool is heated!
  • Thanks, 67King. I'm concerned about swimmers passing me in the next lane, breathing heavily in my direction. Your only concern about that should be if they are swimming backstroke or using a kick board with their face above the water. Otherwise, all exhalation is done underwater and is safe. Just make sure when you rest at the wall, there is nobody else resting at the same wall in neighboring lanes. If they are breathing hard after a sprint set, the microscopic aerosols could travel as much as ten feet.
  • Thanks, 67King. I'm concerned about swimmers passing me in the next lane, breathing heavily in my direction. From this CNBC article, "The U.S. CDC defines a close contact as anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting two days before the onset of symptoms until the time the patient is isolated." Even if doing backstroke or kicking (good points, Elaine, our club team had planned to skip both practices when we first got back in, but the city's initial prevention of more than 1 swimmer per lane made it unnecessary), the latest info indicates that would be insufficient to expose you I would say.
  • On the other hand, epidemiologists are saying the microscopic aerosols we exhale can linger in the air for up to three hours. I guess it would depend on how large and well ventilated the indoor pool facility is, and how many people are swimming backstroke, using a kickboard, etc. I'm sure the chances are very remote. Outdoors, I would say the risk is practically zero. Are masks required on deck, Renie? If so, that would also decrease the risk. Speaking of masks (and being a "militant masker"), I'm happy to say that I made "good trouble" by getting a mask mandate put in place in my community's amenity center; it starts on Monday. (Unfortunately, however, masks won't be required while working out on machines, due to the president's fear of someone passing out.) This is the letter I sent to the board president: August 7, 2020 Dear Mr. Garrett, My husband, Bruce, and I are residents at Sun City Peachtree and are concerned about our health as well as the health of the other residents and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. My husband uses the gym, and I swim in the indoor pool, Mondays thru Saturdays. As Iâ€Tmm sure you are aware, Georgia has one of the highest positivity rates and death rates in the country. What you may not be aware of is that the countryâ€Tms top scientists have stated that COVID-19 is 20 times deadlier than the flu, and 78% of those who get sick from COVID-19 end up with permanent heart damage. In addition, many of those people also have permanent lung damage as well as neurological damage as a result of the virus. The White House Coronavirus Task force has mandated wearing masks outside of the home, and 33 states have followed that advice. Unfortunately, in Georgia, wearing masks has become very political, even though wearing masks save lives. It has been proven by epidemiologists that cloth masks are 50% - 85% effective in preventing contracting COVID-19, depending on the quality and fit of the mask. So, not only will they help prevent spreading the virus, wearing a mask will keep people from contracting the virus. It has also been proven that the virus is most commonly spread through the aerosols we exhale, not only when coughing, but just breathing normally. Indoors, the microscopic droplets we exhale have been proven to linger in the air for up to three hours. Science has proven that in gyms, the six-foot social distancing rule is not adequate. When a person breathes hard, the aerosols they exhale travel up to ten feet. If everybody wore masks indoors, this could be greatly reduced; however, this isnâ€Tmt the case at Sun City Peachtree. Masks are only encouraged, and many people are not wearing masks, including the staff. I have personally experienced staff members coming up to talk with me without a mask, and within the six-foot distancing mandate. I also witness it between the staff and other residents on a daily basis. We both wear our masks at Club Peachtree. The only time I am not wearing mine is when I swim. In the pool, I stay in my swim lane. On a daily basis, my 71-year-old husband can go 55 minutes on the elliptical on Level 4 at a fast pace while wearing a well-fitted cloth mask, and I can do my 4 mph, 2-mile walks while wearing my well-fitted cloth mask. Following my swim workouts, I am able to do 50 military push-ups, 130 crunches, and other rigorous exercise while wearing my mask. In other words, it is very doable! For the health and safety of our staff and residents, I implore you to reconsider your current mask policy and follow the CDC guidelines, White House Coronavirus Task Force mandate, and the well-documented science. Please require masks to be worn indoors throughout Club Peachtree, including the gym and the deck area of the indoor pool. Thank you, Elaine Krugman
  • I do a lot of kick drills with a kickboard, and am a better ***/backstroker than a free styler, so I'm glad that they are limited 1 person per lane, except husband and wife couples, which is, IMO, odd that they couldn't each have their own lane. Unless they have proof of marriage anyone can say they are married. LOL. What about siblings, couples living together? I think that's a silly rule. When our club team went back to 1/lane, we had siblings share a lane. We were allowed 10 people in the building, 7 lane pool. But with 2 coaches on deck, we just left it 1 per lane (meanwhile the state allowed 25 person gatherings, go figure). Also, we still mandate the swimmers wear masks until they get in the water. Which basically means the mask is the last thing they take off before they jump in. I am unaware of any community spread from swim teams, but we have seen several cases of it in all other sports. Just an anecdote I thought I'd point out that seems to fit with the notion that chlorine and corona don't mix.