Backstroke finish

I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Looking at the attached diagram, it appears that the elbow is locked. Is that correct or should the elbow be bent on the down stroke? That's correct. Meaning elbow bent on the downsweep, until the arm is ready to start the upsweep. The 3 peak stroke is very close in comparison to the traditional 2 peak with the exception of the finish. The hand enters the water and goes through the initial catch phase...it does the upsweep...and does the down sweep. The difference is....is that at the end of the downseep, the hand begins a transition into an almost palm facing up position. And with the arm heading into a near locked elbow position...it directs water towards the feet. One last hurrah before the exit. I experimented with it for the past year now...and it still feels foreign. But it has proven to be faster. That being said, there are still some incredibly fast backstrokers using the 2 peak stroke pattern. (as proven with Ande and Chris)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Looking at the attached diagram, it appears that the elbow is locked. Is that correct or should the elbow be bent on the down stroke? That's correct. Meaning elbow bent on the downsweep, until the arm is ready to start the upsweep. The 3 peak stroke is very close in comparison to the traditional 2 peak with the exception of the finish. The hand enters the water and goes through the initial catch phase...it does the upsweep...and does the down sweep. The difference is....is that at the end of the downseep, the hand begins a transition into an almost palm facing up position. And with the arm heading into a near locked elbow position...it directs water towards the feet. One last hurrah before the exit. I experimented with it for the past year now...and it still feels foreign. But it has proven to be faster. That being said, there are still some incredibly fast backstrokers using the 2 peak stroke pattern. (as proven with Ande and Chris)
Children
No Data