Backstroke finish

I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight!
Parents
  • Wow. I was taught palms down as a youngster and never changed it. In fact, I exaggerate the consequent shoulder roll -- as the palm goes down it causes my shoulder to pop up -- because I feel that it gives me a good stretch and better leverage on the next arm pull. And maybe just a little more power on the finish of the stroke. The cost for me is a somewhat reduced stroke rate; I don't believe I do it as much on sprints. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, just how I do it and why. I confess that I do not keep up with all the latest stroke mechanics stuff and all this palm-to-thigh stuff is news to me. (Sort of reminds me when I first started swimming occasionally with a USS club last year...the coach took one look at my breaststroke -- a pathetic sight, I will admit -- and stated "I haven't seen that stroke in 20 years!" Well, duh...!)
  • Wow. I was taught palms down as a youngster and never changed it. In fact, I exaggerate the consequent shoulder roll -- as the palm goes down it causes my shoulder to pop up -- because I feel that it gives me a good stretch and better leverage on the next arm pull. And maybe just a little more power on the finish of the stroke. The cost for me is a somewhat reduced stroke rate; I don't believe I do it as much on sprints. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, just how I do it and why. I confess that I do not keep up with all the latest stroke mechanics stuff and all this palm-to-thigh stuff is news to me. (Sort of reminds me when I first started swimming occasionally with a USS club last year...the coach took one look at my breaststroke -- a pathetic sight, I will admit -- and stated "I haven't seen that stroke in 20 years!" Well, duh...!)
Children
No Data