Backstroke finish

I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight!
Parents
  • Yeah, I've been doing it with palm down since the 70's. I was at a clinic with Lenny Krazleburgh (sp) about a month ago and he showed us that exact thing. He had us finish the pull with the palm facing toward the thigh. This keeps the hand from going outside the "body cone". The idea is to have the body as compact as possible without disturbing the surrounding water. Also, when you think about it, if your hand is pressing down towards the bottom, your body is responding upwardly and why would you want that. I seem to remember a David Marsh and Kim Brackin video saying the same thing.
  • Yeah, I've been doing it with palm down since the 70's. I was at a clinic with Lenny Krazleburgh (sp) about a month ago and he showed us that exact thing. He had us finish the pull with the palm facing toward the thigh. This keeps the hand from going outside the "body cone". The idea is to have the body as compact as possible without disturbing the surrounding water. Also, when you think about it, if your hand is pressing down towards the bottom, your body is responding upwardly and why would you want that. I seem to remember a David Marsh and Kim Brackin video saying the same thing.
Children
No Data