Balancing on the blocks...

Now that I have aged a few years since active competition I have found myself very unsteady on the starting blocks.  Any suggestions for this 65 year old.  Maybe some exercises or balancing stretches?

Parents
  • 3URXX,

I have been thinking more about about the unsteadiness.  I feel it as well and have a couple of suggestions I will follow myself:

• As we get older, for a variety of reasons, we spend less time with our body weight on the balls of our feet.  Be it walking with shorter strides or climbing stairs with our entire foot on the stair tread.  This leads to weaker, less flexible ankles and calves.  To offset this, spend time focusing on engaging your ankles and calves by planting only the ball of your foot on stair treads, walking with a full stride that requires a slight push off with the ball of your foot.  Heck, walk around on the balls of your feet.
    • All of our answers focused on leg strength, but being unsteady on the blocks also involves the bending over motion.  So, practice the movements on the block while you are standing on a hard floor.  Place your right/left foot 12-15" ahead of your other foot, put weight on the balls of your feet, and bend over like you are "taking your mark" with your hands/fingers touching the floor in front of your front foot. Practicing this will strengthen your lower back, show you the hamstring tightness that Allen mentioned, and generally improve your balance as Kyle and Allen mentioned.  Work up to 10x.  Then, try it with your eyes closed.  Slight smile

If you have access to a gym that has BOSU Sport Balance trainers - try these as they will improve your balance and ankle/calf strength.

• 3URXX,

I have been thinking more about about the unsteadiness.  I feel it as well and have a couple of suggestions I will follow myself:

• As we get older, for a variety of reasons, we spend less time with our body weight on the balls of our feet.  Be it walking with shorter strides or climbing stairs with our entire foot on the stair tread.  This leads to weaker, less flexible ankles and calves.  To offset this, spend time focusing on engaging your ankles and calves by planting only the ball of your foot on stair treads, walking with a full stride that requires a slight push off with the ball of your foot.  Heck, walk around on the balls of your feet.
    • All of our answers focused on leg strength, but being unsteady on the blocks also involves the bending over motion.  So, practice the movements on the block while you are standing on a hard floor.  Place your right/left foot 12-15" ahead of your other foot, put weight on the balls of your feet, and bend over like you are "taking your mark" with your hands/fingers touching the floor in front of your front foot. Practicing this will strengthen your lower back, show you the hamstring tightness that Allen mentioned, and generally improve your balance as Kyle and Allen mentioned.  Work up to 10x.  Then, try it with your eyes closed.  Slight smile

If you have access to a gym that has BOSU Sport Balance trainers - try these as they will improve your balance and ankle/calf strength.

Children
No Data