Balancing on the blocks...

Now that I have aged a few years since active competition I have found myself very unsteady on the starting blocks.  Any suggestions for this 65 year old.  Maybe some exercises or balancing stretches?

Parents
  • In addition to stretching, I suggest some strengthening exercises such (1-2 sets of 15 with or without hand weights):

• Box Step-ups - these will strengthen your quads.  Look for 12" step ups.  Don't worry about lifting your knee like the video. If you can't find a box, find stairs.
    • Lateral Box Step ups - This will help with balance and strength
    • Lunges - both forward, backward, and laterally.
    • Deadlifts - with or without weights.  These will strengthen your lower back and glutes which are important to stability
    • Calf raisers - strengthening the calves will make it easier to step up on blocks and help you push off the blocks.

As Allen mentioned, try the track start which is the same as a grab start, but with one foot forward and one back instead of both feet at the front of the block.

If you have neuropathy, this will mess with your balance, so I second what Allen mentioned about one leg balancing (10 x 15-20 seconds) will help as well.  Eyes closed is tough!

• In addition to stretching, I suggest some strengthening exercises such (1-2 sets of 15 with or without hand weights):

• Box Step-ups - these will strengthen your quads.  Look for 12" step ups.  Don't worry about lifting your knee like the video. If you can't find a box, find stairs.
    • Lateral Box Step ups - This will help with balance and strength
    • Lunges - both forward, backward, and laterally.
    • Deadlifts - with or without weights.  These will strengthen your lower back and glutes which are important to stability
    • Calf raisers - strengthening the calves will make it easier to step up on blocks and help you push off the blocks.

As Allen mentioned, try the track start which is the same as a grab start, but with one foot forward and one back instead of both feet at the front of the block.

If you have neuropathy, this will mess with your balance, so I second what Allen mentioned about one leg balancing (10 x 15-20 seconds) will help as well.  Eyes closed is tough!

Children