Catch Technique

I seem to have trouble with my non dominant arm (right side).  There is almost a dead zone/delay during the first part of my catch with my right hand when breathing to the left.  I do bilateral breathe but I have noticed this issue when breathing on that side. and it is even starting to bother my shoulder.  Has anyone experienced this or have any drills or suggestions to help. 

Parents
  • Windrath's response is spot-on.  I have been working on these very same tips to improve my freestyle stroke technique.  

You mentioned that you are also starting to get shoulder pain.  Assuming you do not have an injury that requires medical intervention, an excellent exercise program I highly recommend is the Thrower's 10 Exercises.  Do a Google search, and you will find a bunch of different physical therapy practices that have it posted on their sites.  This program was originally designed for baseball pitchers; however, it was recommended to me by my orthopedic surgeon for keeping my shoulders healthy for swimming.  I do it as part of my dryland routine after I swim, and when I travel, I take my Theraband with me and do all of the exercises with the band (rather than weights).

Good luck!

• Windrath's response is spot-on.  I have been working on these very same tips to improve my freestyle stroke technique.  

You mentioned that you are also starting to get shoulder pain.  Assuming you do not have an injury that requires medical intervention, an excellent exercise program I highly recommend is the Thrower's 10 Exercises.  Do a Google search, and you will find a bunch of different physical therapy practices that have it posted on their sites.  This program was originally designed for baseball pitchers; however, it was recommended to me by my orthopedic surgeon for keeping my shoulders healthy for swimming.  I do it as part of my dryland routine after I swim, and when I travel, I take my Theraband with me and do all of the exercises with the band (rather than weights).

Good luck!

Children
No Data