A shoulder saver - impinged shoulder solution - 2 weeks no kidding

It's been a long time since I've posted anything on the USMS boards but I did want to let you in on a little discovery I made that has revitalized my swimming.

I swam in high school and college but now I'm 50 and since I was around 30, I've wanted to stay in shape with swimming but I developed a bad habit of sleeping on my stomach and, like millions others, my side.  I even went so far as to sleep with my right shoulder tucked under me with it above my head.  Over time, the damage had been done.  The alignment of my right shoulder was off and out of whack.

For years I had gone to docs (one even injected me with a steroid!), a chiro (which worked a little bit with force), tried stretching, got surgical bands, watched countless YouTube vids of how to "end" shoulder impingement correctly.  I even dropped an additional $600 for 8 sessions of ART (Active Release Therapy) which did help with the inflammation but still, never solved the mechanical problem. 

Perhaps you have the same issue as it was beyond frustrating for me to swim for a couple of weeks before the inflammation got so bad, take off 3 weeks, and repeat.  It was so freaking aggravating.

On a desperate whim I thought, "aha, it has to be posture related".  I did a quick Amazon search for a posture correction aid and this is what I found..  

If you click this link it goes right to the one I use which has adjustable velcro so you can customize it for whichever shoulder you need to pull back.  I'm now able to swim 3-5000m a day every day if I want to.  I don't swim but 3-4000m 3x a week but in ZERO PAIN.  This strap is $18 or so.  It changed my life and I hope it changes you.  I do not work for this company as there are several brands.  

I hope this helps someone who was as frustrated as I was for nearly 20 years.

All the best,

Graham

Parents Reply Children
No Data