Speed and endurance

Coming off an injury with limitations.  The pool is my only option.

Have to swim 400 in 12 minutes for the military.  No swim experience, but have been learning quick.  SWOLF avg. 41 @ 31sec @ 11spl in 25m.

Feels like my pull is jacked because of the high elbow thing.  Would paddles or the "Early Vertical Forearm" trainer be a good investment to tighten this up?

My hope is to tighten this screw and thus increase speed and endurance.

Thanks.

• 400m in 12:00 is not really very fast. It’s just :45 seconds per 25m length of the pool. If you’re otherwise in good physical condition, you should be able to achieve this. But as you indicated…you will need to do some work on form and technique. Just remember that it doesn’t happen overnight. You need to be in the pool at least a couple of times per week. Just as a point of reference, I’m 61 years old and generally swim 400m in 7:00-ish minutes…twenty years after retiring from the military…and I’ve never been coached.

Dan

• Thanks.  Thats encouraging.

Currently 700 meters broken up into 25s 50s 75s and 100s x 4 days.

For me its breathing and arms.  My heart rate goes north of 130 during my 75s and 100s.

• What are you expecting from your heartrate?  And what is it about your breathing?  If you are out of breath, you are probably taking a breath and holding it, only to exhale right before you breath.  You should continuously exhale throughout the stroke.

But if you want to improve, you are going to have to get your heartrate further up there, and keep it there.  130 is okay for an easy, long swim.  But it isn't really that much compared to what most masters swimmers will be seeing, I don't believe.  Here's my last workout's heartrate trace.  First 3 peaks are my warm up, 300 swim, 200 kick, 300 pull.  The long flat area is my main set, 3,000 yards.  It was 40 75's, with varied effort and invervals, but my heartrate was typically dropping to about 85% max when resting between reps, and 95% max during the reps (my mas is 172 by the rule of thumb method).  

• Thanks that is helpful.

Not sure what to expect with hr.  I was a runner and now cannot run. I was a lifter but now cannot lift.

I used hr as a measure of intensity and effort and zone training.

So translating that to swimming is not the same as running.  That is keeping yourself in a zone.

That is my Thursday workout.  Getting easier as far as distance.  But at 200 i start hitting a wall.  Breathing is comfortable at every other stroke.  Tried every third and cpuld not make it work.

Thanks.

• Can't really compare heart rate from running to swimming.  It will be lower by a good 10 points for two reasons.  First, your body is level, so the heart doesn't have to work against gravity.  Second, you are immersed in water, which helps cool the body, so the heart doesn't need to use blood to equalize body temperature.  I actually did an open water swim, water was probably upper 60's, and for the first 35 minutes, my heart rate was only 120bpm!

Looks to me like you need to spend more time getting warmed up.  I often spend 20 minutes getting warmed up.  Just like running, or cycling, you are going to be out of breath until you get your body settled.  If you take off without ramping up your speed, you'll be breathing really hard.  Gets more pronounced as you get older, and I'm not of military age, so I know it is worse for me than you :) I know it is a tough ask to slow down, and have a longer workout, but that's that I think you need to do.

As for actually swimming, is 11 spl stroke per lap?  And assuming so, since you are using a watch, is that 11 strokes from the same arm, so 22 (or 21 or 23, depending)?  If so, you want to get that lower.  I can hit a SWOLF of 31 with 13-14 strokes (6-7 each arm) coming in in the 36-37 range per 50 yards (so that includes the turn).  In a SCM pool, I'd add 2 strokes per lap (1 per arm).  That's a tall ask, but you should be able to get down to about 17 or so without too much trouble.  But use that number to give you feedback.  ABC - Always Be Counting.  Every lap.  Your stroke is right now pretty inefficient, I would suggest you mix some drills in there to help improve it.  Fists can help with EVF.  Catch up and underwater recovery can help with body rotattion and extending your stroke.

• Thanks everyone. 

Great info.  I watched a usms webinar last night on freestyle.  Gave me some good drills to do as well.

I am 47 so not a young pup, just trying to not embarass myself come the pft.  Will try all the suggestions and work into longer swims.  Below is my swim stats from Thursday for stroke and swolf.