Amount of rotation in freestyle?

I have been Masters swimming since 7-23-2022, swim 3x per week and have competed in 2 swim meets to date.  My first open water, one-mile swim meet is tomorrow.

My Masters club has five pools and my current pool is closed for maintenance.  As such, I have been swimming with other coaches at other pools.

There is a discrepancy between coaches telling me how much to rotate during freestyle.

The coach at my regular pool has me rotate a lot during freestyle so that I am nearly sideways though not quite.

A coach from a different pool (former Olympian) asked why I was rotating so much and said that I need to be flatter (less than 45 degrees).  I told her that that is what the previous coach said so I can be streamline and faster.  The former Olympian coach said that rotating too much results in not being able to pull through efficiently and significantly slowing me down because of the time and energy it takes rotating so much.

I can see where both coaches make good points regarding how much to rotate.  

Can you give me your feedback about this?  Is one better than the other for speed?  Shoulder health??  

Parents Reply Children
No Data