Lost my Speed

This is almost embarrassing to admit, but apparently I’m in need of serious help. I live in a lovely area where 99% of the adults do not go to meets. There are a lot of good swimmers, and many fast men, but only 2-3 really fast women, and we do not workout together, and worst of all, of the three I am not only the slowest, but the oldest!!  I was doing so well, bringing my times down pre-pandemic! and now I don’t even have consistent workout buddies to help me out!  Because of my job (NP) I work out at 5:30am MWF, and sometimes on Saturdays. Both of the other ladies work out at different times of the day than me due to their own job and family schedules.  I don’t think I’m so old I can’t get my speed back, but I’m not sure how to do it. I understand intervals, don’t get me wrong, but we all have to admit that competition helps us go faster, and if you go faster in practice, you go faster in meets. And there is no masters team within hundreds of miles. Ideas?

• I just wanted to encourage you.  Just as it takes a LOT of time to work up our endurance, once some time is lost due to issues (illness, pandemic), it's just going to take a little bit of time to build back up the endurance that was lost.  I believe it should come back faster than if you were just starting out.  You know, like muscle memory?   Just stay with it, and as you know, work those intervals.  

• Thanks! I know to swim faster in meets, I need to swim faster in practice - but I need someone to push me - I’m not very grown up I’m afraid!

• It can be hard to motivate yourself to swim at race pace. Especially when you’re swimming on your own. Here’s a set I do. Do 25s at 200 race pace. Give yourself enough time between 25s that you can do that pace and be mindful of good stroke technique. I don’t know how long that would be for you 10 seconds 20 seconds 30 seconds whatever give yourself enough time to do it at race pace. Once you feel comfortable with that you can do some 25 at hundred pace. The key is getting your body to remember what race pace feels like  and without someone beside you the clock is the only way to do it.

• I love that set, King Frog!  You recommended that to me for my 200 breaststroke years ago, and I do it now for my 200 fly.  I also LOVE the workout you gave me doing 2x400 of 100 stroke at 200 pace, 100 EZ free, repeat.  Next was 4x200 of 50 stroke at 100 pace followed by 150 EZ free.  Finally, 100's of 25's at 50 pace followed by EZ free. I do that workout for fly at least a couple of times per week-- especially since I can't kick breaststroke right now.  (Hopefully, Friday's hip surgery will eventually resolve that issue!)

Celestial, you are an AWESOME swimmer!  It was inspiring to watch you race at Auburn and Atlanta several years back.  It has been a while since we have crossed paths, because I have been unable to make it to Auburn for one reason or another, but I haven't forgotten you!  Not only were you an inspiring swimmer to watch, but you were so nice to me!  For that, I thank you!

• I’ve never been much of a meet swimmer…meaning that I don’t participate in Masters’ meets even though I am a member. My only competitive swimming over the years has been the few open water swims I do annually, and a triathlon here and there. Nevertheless, I still feel that I’m competitive…with myself anyway. The “meet” is in my head and I’m competing against my own times from the past…trying to stave off the slowing down that eventually gets us all (except Tom Brady) regardless of our best efforts. My swimming friend Mike Garr always signs off his swimming correspondence with a “SWSP” (Swim Well. Seek Peace). And personally I always recall a mantra from my running days (which I recently learned is derived from a biblical passage) but can apply to any fitness regime…”The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.”

Dan
  • Oh, I understand.  I swim better at practices! I have anxiety at meets and it’s something I’m working on.  I’d love to just feel relaxed and have FUN.