Difference between arm movements in butterfly and freestyle?

The swim.com app on my smart watch usually identifies my attempts at butterfly as freestyle. That prompts me to think that I don't really know what the difference in arm movement should be, apart from pulling with both arms simultaneously instead of one at a time.  What should I be focusing on with butterfly?  I try to do a thumb-first entry, and my pull is somewhat hourglass shaped. 

• I wouldn't change stroke in order for your APP to recognize it properly, Especially if you are fast, but I wonder if it may have something to do with your recovery. Just curious, do you recover hands a little high for fly?

• Hi - this is John Anthony from Swim.com. This is a great question and one that is, honestly, hard for us to answer. Here is why...  

Background
    We use machine learning (ML) to automatically classify your stroke type as one of the four major stroke types (fly, back, breast, free). The power of ML is that the application to different types of swimmers is going to be much better compared to if we tried to implement a set of hard coded "rules". This is the true of many types of classification problems; not just the application of trying to identify swimmer's stroke types. However, there is a downside of using a ML approach. Debugging why something was classified as something (e.g. a stroke classified as freestyle) can be nearly impossible if not impossible. This gets more technical than you and others may care about but the issue comes down to the number of variables (aka features) that are used to drive the model. The more variables that are used, the more challenging it is to figure out why one instance / sample (in our case a stroke) is being classified as one thing vs another. The net result is that we can't say if the misclassification of your fly is due to what's happening in the recovery part of the stroke or the pull phase or a combination of characteristics across the entire stroke cycle.

The models we built for stroke type classification come from a fairly wide range of swimmers types (fitness, triathletes, competitive swimmers, etc). However, for fly, there's a kind of self referential problem in that, for the most part, swimmers who do Fly skew towards the more competitive / serious end. Meaning, there are not nearly as many fitness swimmer swimming fly compared to competitive swimmers. This means, our models for identifying fly likely skew more towards one type of swimmer compared to the other stroke types.

What we do know is that the overall "energy" we see in the motion data for these types of swimmers swimming fly is much greater than the energy we see in these same swimmers swimming freestyle. By energy, we mean the overall change in acceleration - meaning, swimming fly just looks a lot less "smooth" from a motion sensing perspective compared to freestyle. In fact, we sometimes have the opposite issue as result of this. That is, the stroke typing models will sometimes classify a very fast / aggressive freestyle as fly. This recently happened to me swimming the 50 Free TYR L1F1 race over the weekend.

Recommendation

With the background above, there are two suggestions I can make.

(1) keep practicing and get feedback from other experienced swimmers or coaches.The more you improve your technique the more likely the models will correctly identify your fly.

(2) After the swim, use the Swim.com app to edit your swim and fix the stroke type (see link below on how to do this). This will not only correct the stroke type (which can be important for Leaderboards, Personal Records and Race-based Challenges) but we can also use this correction to continue to refine our algorithms and models.

https://support.swim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049709211-Editing-Swim-Data

• Wow, that's so cool, thanks for answering!  That is good information.  I will correct the stroke type.

• I don't think so.  I'm not fast; at this stage, I'm happy if I can recover my arms over the water for 25 yards.

• So this is why I don't have one of those electronic do dads to confuse me even further!

• My butterfly stroke registered on my watch when I was swimming freestyle and I was more aggressive with diving forward on each stroke. May have been diving deeper slightly with my hand entry also.  

• No comment on the app but alarm bells went off when you say you enter thumb-first. That's going to cause shoulder impingement problems for you at some point. Try to flatten the entry so that you are leading with all of your fingers to grab the water. 

• Agree with this. My shoulders hurts most of time anyhow so I need to take care of them more.