After prolonged layoff, re-swimming--discussion on common issues with gaining form

I restarted a couple of months ago after several months and minimal swimming.  My times are off, but besides overall fitness and 'feel for the water' I wondered what others thought were issues they had to work on to resuming swimming and re-gaining form?  This would hopefully help us focus on parts that would quickly help us re-gain form.  Focus for me is free (limited pool time), I feel like my fitness is back as well as being pre-pandemic weight, but my times are still off 3-4 secs/100.  Thanks

• Yep, a couple of months after being able to get back into regular workouts (i.e. due to COVID restrictions), I wrecked my mountain bike, tore the UCL in my thumb, had to have surgery, a pin, etc.  Long story short, I was out from late December until late March.  COuldn't even run or bike or anything until late February  I may be 3 weeks back in?

I was surprised that I had not lost as much of my form as I expected.  I *AM* swimming more free now than strokes, but they all feel pretty good.  But when I got back in, I pretty much went full force.  More yards per week than I had been, and definitely pushing myself harder.  It took a week before I started feeling really good, again.  After two weeks, I started feeling stronger.  That said, the biggest thing I did - at least I think - is modify my rest interval to be darn sure that I could hit my reps without a loss in DPS.  I always, always, always count my strokes.  ALways.

I do not believe my sprint times are anywhere near where they were.  But my distance stuff is actually faster.  Granted, in getting back in, I've been doing more distance focused sets.  And like I said, I'd add a second or so to my interval to be sure I could maintain DPS (e.g. I'd normally do 40X50 on :57, but initially did 1:00, and worked my way to :58).  And last year during COVID, I was doing a lot of open water.  But anecdote, pre-COVID, my 1650 was about 22:40.  In early November, I did it in 22:07.  Tuesday of this week, I did it in 21:52.  When I do the Hackett set, I'm forcing myself to just work harder, and am now coming in around :37-38 for the slows, and :35-36 for the fasts on :45 (then :50, :55, and 1:00) intervals.

I'm now within 2 pounds of pre-COVID.  Had put on 11.

• In the pool again since Feb 1. Feel for the water came back pretty quickly, but it is only in the past 2 weeks that I have felt confident in doing any race pace stuff and my rest intervals are longer than they were. 45 minute max pool time is limiting my top end endurance

• I have been "back" and "forth" (which is, I suppose, the opposite of being "back") so many times I'm getting whiplash.  I'm an American in Canada and we keep whipsawing back and forth between lockdown (e.g., pools closed) and semi-opened (e.g., 1 swimmer per reserved 45 minute lane) that I don't know which way is forward.  All I can say is this ... can't wait until 2022 ;)

• Already waiting for 2022.  I'm just waiting for vacation somewhere tropical with reefs.

That floppy fish kick drill you mentioned, really made something connect in my free. Thanks 

• I tried full FLY after rehab of 7 months of work and ---- it only hurt a little bit. I guess my rotator cuff will be "happy" with that.

• Thanks for the comments.  I still am off, time wise.  I do not do much fly (only as part of IM), which I enjoy (I like going fast) because of the short amount of pool time and recovery takes too long.  I then considered, that my speed is off perhaps because I hardly do short speed work, and if I did (which I use to do) it would improve.  Or I am still off on my fitness or feel for water (it was my wt., but not anymore).  IDK, but I miss my old speed. 

• If you have limited pool time and are concerned about speed, you may want to consider race pace training. Even though your volume will be lower, training a race pace will still give you a great workout at a higher intensity.

• I always, always, always count my strokes. 

Could you tell me more about this?  Is there a reason other than DPS to count?  I know for backstroke to avoid hitting the wall...    

• I can’t speak for 67King, but I always count my strokes. It is a measure of DPS, and that is very important to me. If I am not holding my splits or my count something is wrong. Since I am always counting I can make immediate adjustments. 

• I'm kinda nervous about race pace for fly on my recovering shoulder. At this time, I'm just doing partial laps with fly.