Worthwhile 30-Minute Swims

Former Member
Former Member
My local Y has 30 minute slots...obviously, one to a lane, and it is very hard to get a spot (you have to reserve 0-48 hours from your time slot, and they all get snapped up within 0-3 seconds). I am not exaggerating. I was managing to get in a few doubles, but then they banned those. I'm averaging about two swims a week, because you have to be lucky. The upside is I have to be lean and mean. I don't swim non-stop and the most I can manage is about 1500. The 30 minutes is actually more like 28, since there is no gap between reservations. So, what is a good workout for 30 minutes? I mostly swim for fitness, but I typically also do 3-4 meets a year and swim only 50s.
  • If I had this limitation, I'd do USRPT most days, and then LSD one or two days a week. Get in as much as I could...
  • Make your main set a "broken mile" as 3 rounds of 3 x 50 2 x 100 1 x 150 I go these on 0:45, 1:25, 2:05 and, when in really good shape, aiming to hold 0:30 to 0:31 pace, so getting about 15 seconds rest on the 50s, almost 25 on the 100s and almost 35 on the 150s. Now, mind you, I'm not in really good shape now, but it's a great main set. Depending upon how much time that will take you, do maybe a 500 warmup: 200 IM kick-drill 4 x 50: descend free 4 x 25: build each to fast, IM order That might be aggressive, but if you need to cut somewhere, cut down the warmup and then build into the first round of the Broken Mile. (And, yes, I know 1500 is not a mile!)
  • This looks great. However, I won't be able to do all that in 30 minutes. My personal (masters) best is high 27s for 50 yards and that was at 55 (62 now) and, of course, included a dive. Keeping a 31 second pace isn't going to happen.I totally get that ... if you did these as 50s on 1:00 100s on 1:45 150 on 2:30 Each round would take 9 minutes, meaning 3 rounds would be 27:00. Not sure if those intervals would work, but you could throw on an intial warmup set of 3 x 50 on 1:00 for a 1,650 and that would be exactly 30 minutes. Adjust as needed.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Thanks. A few times I got a double when I arrived early for my swim and was able to get the one just before. However, they've since instituted a no-double policy. I see a lot of cancellations 10-15 mins before and since I live a 20 min drive from the Y, I'm usually not able to jump in to one of those. Yesterday, I complained (probably to deaf ears) that there should be sanctions for people who cancel on short notice...not on the first offense, but maybe after, say three times. As an aside, there is also this very annoying woman who does laps for ten of the 30 minutes and then stands in the shallow end and does 20 minutes of yoga and dance poses. They have other slots for "adult" and "free" swim. Lap reservation should be for lap swimmers only. Sounds like your Y is using the same procedure as the one I go to here in RI. We use the Daxko app on our phone for reservations. However, this Y generally has :45 minute slots, a couple through the day are 60 minutes. And...if you need more time...there are some slots that run right into one another...for example 12:45pm-1:30pm and 1:30pm-2:15pm. And they donâ€Tmt clear the pool between time slots that are back-to-back like that. So, Iâ€Tmll reserve a slot in both so that I have a full 90 minutes to swim. The app also has a wait list function so that if someone cancels you can get moved up. And...you might try this...if the reservation list is full...just go to the pool anyway. Iâ€Tmve found that people will reserve a slot with little to no intention of actually going to the pool...but they have the reservation JUST IN CASE they change their mind and decide to go. So if youâ€Tmre there on deck and a lane is open due to a ‘no showâ€Tm...maybe theyâ€Tmll let you in. Itâ€Tms worked for me. Good luck. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    This looks great. However, I won't be able to do all that in 30 minutes. My personal (masters) best is high 27s for 50 yards and that was at 55 (62 now) and, of course, included a dive. Keeping a 31 second pace isn't going to happen. Make your main set a "broken mile" as 3 rounds of 3 x 50 2 x 100 1 x 150 I go these on 0:45, 1:25, 2:05 and, when in really good shape, aiming to hold 0:30 to 0:31 pace, so getting about 15 seconds rest on the 50s, almost 25 on the 100s and almost 35 on the 150s. Now, mind you, I'm not in really good shape now, but it's a great main set. Depending upon how much time that will take you, do maybe a 500 warmup: 200 IM kick-drill 4 x 50: descend free 4 x 25: build each to fast, IM order That might be aggressive, but if you need to cut somewhere, cut down the warmup and then build into the first round of the Broken Mile. (And, yes, I know 1500 is not a mile!)
  • Thirty minutes is plenty of time to work on your 50! Do some 25s all out, and I really mean all out, none of that 100 pace or best average nonsense. I'm talking literally as fast as you can go, every time. On three minutes. I like to do ten, which will take 27+ whatever your last 25 is, but you're short on time and I'd recommend warming up a little so go for eight. If you truly do them all out, you'll get a great workout.
  • A good lactate producer would be 6 x 50 from block on 3:00. The last one should be near max effort to hold your average. This is probably better for 100's but you get to work on the starts (if available). No more than 1x wk Have done this LC with fins. I am finished way before 30 min and I can barely climb out of pool
  • I get 45 minutes in my pool. I need a 15 minute warm up so that is 30 minutes of work out. After a long lay off from COVID restrictions I am just now able to do some consistent race pace work. I am doing mostly USRPT 3-4 times a week and also a lactic acid set no more than once a week. It is not the same as an hour work out, but I can tell I am making progress. 

• I think hybridizing USRPT looks very promising.  There's just some elements that aren't worked with a strict USRPT diet (qualitative technique, acidosis, 15m all out stuff).