Goggles strap: Outside your swimcap, or inside?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been told that "real swimmers" strap inside. Yet, looking at images of world class swimmers in action, I see many strap outside. Discuss.
Parents
  • For racing, goggle strap under the smooth silicon cap = less drag. Every hundredth of a second counts! Also, in open water, while I prefer to NOT wear a cap, most races make you wear a cap. With sighting, I find that a cap can move around a lot during a race. If my goggles are under the cap and the cap moves, the worst thing that happens is that I lose the cap. If my goggles are over the cap and the cap moves, my goggles might fill up or my cap might fall off, but then get lodged in the goggle strap and fill the cap up with water. If I only looked badass bald like Telly Savalas, I'd go bald and then never have to worry about a cap!
  • For racing, goggle strap under the smooth silicon cap = less drag. Every hundredth of a second counts! Also, in open water, while I prefer to NOT wear a cap, most races make you wear a cap. With sighting, I find that a cap can move around a lot during a race. If my goggles are under the cap and the cap moves, the worst thing that happens is that I lose the cap. If my goggles are over the cap and the cap moves, my goggles might fill up or my cap might fall off, but then get lodged in the goggle strap and fill the cap up with water. If I only looked badass bald like Telly Savalas, I'd go bald and then never have to worry about a cap!
Children
No Data