Kickboard recommendation

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone recommend an adult (long - 20") kickboard that is NOT rigid? Our gym had these great semi-pliable long kickboards that I've yet to find online. The last one I ordered was too short and hurts my back.
  • Can anyone recommend an adult (long - 20") kickboard that is NOT rigid? Our gym had these great semi-pliable long kickboards that I've yet to find online. The last one I ordered was too short and hurts my back. I recommend a small rigid one.........with a snorkel. I personally can't stand the way most people use kickboards, they put your body position all wrong, and like you said, hurt. Get a snorkel, hold your arms straight out in front of you, place your palms on the board - do NOT grip it - and press down. That will engage your lats a bit. Use a snorkel and keep your head looking down. Doing it that way will keep your body in a nice streamline position, which will help reinforce that for when you are swimming regularly.
  • I canâ€Tmt stand flimsy kickboards. It better be stiff as, well, a board. I use the same one from my first day of college 17 years ago. Some generic old school textured blue board (maybe Speedo brand but who knows now) That I pulled out of the equipment bin. Think it caught my eye cause some age grouper from the club team that used our pool had drawn all sorts of designs and stuff all over it with a sharpie. It looked cool. Alas, all that ink has faded to nothing. Even permanent markers arenâ€Tmt permanent (but the board is still going strong as ever!) For some added difficulty, go buy a Fike “Brick” Board.
  • Even better for your body and your swimming - DON'T USE A KICKBOARD. No matter how you use a kickboard, it puts your body in a position that does not equate to the position your body is in when you swim. When I do kicking sets, I generally use my snorkel (for free and ***) as I can better approximate my swimming body position. Also, kicking freestyle with a snorkel and your arms at your side is a great way to practice the kinetic chain connection from your feet through your hips and core. I like to do a drill where I'm basically doing a two beat kick, with every kick, I rotate to the other side. It is awesome to do with a snorkel. I really only see one reason to use a kickboard - when you're entering a kicking race. If you use a firm but floaty kickboard like "The Beast" (www.funkytrunks.com/.../1993370-the-beast.html), you'll ride higher in the water and go faster. It won't simulate your kick for swimming, but you'll go faster for events like www.memoswimteam.com/400-kick-for-time.html.
  • Can anyone recommend an adult (long - 20") kickboard that is NOT rigid? Our gym had these great semi-pliable long kickboards that I've yet to find online. The last one I ordered was too short and hurts my back. This is the kickboard that I have and use: smile.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title Unfortunately it isn't available, at least on Amazon, right now. But it appears that this one is similar: smile.amazon.com/.../131-5199186-7993018 What I like about it is that it isn't one of those super-rigid ones that some others have mentioned; if those break or splinter they can be dangerous (yes I've found out the hard way). I'd look for one that is made of, "Eva foam," as that seems to be a good compromise. I know which kickboards you mention, the semi-pliable version that seem common at gyms. My gym had them as well, and they were ok for kick sets. But I've never seen those outside of gym pools.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    This is the kickboard that I have and use: smile.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title Unfortunately it isn't available, at least on Amazon, right now. But it appears that this one is similar: smile.amazon.com/.../131-5199186-7993018 What I like about it is that it isn't one of those super-rigid ones that some others have mentioned; if those break or splinter they can be dangerous (yes I've found out the hard way). I'd look for one that is made of, "Eva foam," as that seems to be a good compromise. I know which kickboards you mention, the semi-pliable version that seem common at gyms. My gym had them as well, and they were ok for kick sets. But I've never seen those outside of gym pools. Thanks for the info! I actually have the speedo kickbd, but it's too short and puts strain on my lower back. The ones at the gym were perfect - not too rigid or thin and long enough for a tall adult. I have the TYR board on order. Will let you know if it works for me. It's 20" long, which I wanted.
  • I donâ€Tmt use a board, but Iâ€Tmm thinking about starting as it lets shoulders rest. or find a free one in an equipment bin .. :bolt: oh wow. Iâ€Tmm so jelly right now. also I donâ€Tmt think kickboards give my shoulders a rest due to the posture needed while holding it. For a true shoulder rest, I kick with a snorkel, H.A.S. !!
  • Also, kicking freestyle with a snorkel and your arms at your side is a great way to practice the kinetic chain connection from your feet through your hips and core. I like to do a drill where I'm basically doing a two beat kick, with every kick, I rotate to the other side. It is awesome to do with a snorkel. Wish I tried this drill when I was learning to swim. Did about 200 this drill followed by a moderate effort fr sprint and I swear it made everything link together, there was a disconnect before. Staple drill for me now on. Performed drill with each kick on the same side of the down shoulder. Had to do mini kicks for balance but once it clicked I was actually moving forward at ok momentum. I tried it the other way too, kicking on the up shoulder side, but didnâ€Tmt move fast enough to maintain balance.
  • Even better for your body and your swimming - DON'T USE A KICKBOARD. No matter how you use a kickboard, it puts your body in a position that does not equate to the position your body is in when you swim. That's actually not true. I tried to describe above. Arms straight out, same place as the "catch up" drill. Palms flat on the kickboard, not gripping it. Have to use a snorkel. Face down. Press down on kickboard, and your core and lats are engaged, and it helps to lift your butt. Body position is where it is swimming. You can also use a non buoyant device in front of you, like a kick stick just made of PVC. I've never tried it, but one of the Masters coaches does it with the age groupers.
  • Wish I tried this drill when I was learning to swim. Did about 200 this drill followed by a moderate effort fr sprint and I swear it made everything link together, there was a disconnect before. Staple drill for me now on. Performed drill with each kick on the same side of the down shoulder. Had to do mini kicks for balance but once it clicked I was actually moving forward at ok momentum. I tried it the other way too, kicking on the up shoulder side, but didnâ€Tmt move fast enough to maintain balance.I'm glad you liked it. I got this drill from a Total Immersion coach who called it, if I recall right, Floppy Fish, but I don't think that's the technical name :). I've been trying to look for a video online to demonstrate it, but will have to keep looking or see if I can film one myself. I really love this drill, as well, because it promotes such great whole body focus / awareness / connection.
  • I donâ€Tmt use a board, but Iâ€Tmm thinking about starting as it lets shoulders rest. For some added difficulty, go buy a Fike “Brick” Board.or find a free one in an equipment bin .. :bolt: