How good of a swimmer am I?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been lifting weights + running for a few years and have been swimming on and off for a couple of years. Last season I ramped up my swimming slightly to maybe 2000 meters 3 times per week. I'm gonna try a swimrun in about a month and have tried to increase my swimming to 4 times per week during the summer. I can do a 5k run in 20 mins if I max it so I think the running is fine but I don't know about my swimming. Best 100 meters time 1:20 (was few months ago, maybe I could increase it to 1:15 by now) I get really tired by it but I can do 3 intervalls of 100 meters at 1:30. With 1:30 rest. Longest crawl 1k (was really hard) 19 minutes I have tried to make a 400 meter swim in 7 minutes twice in the last week but had bad days both times and got like 7:30. I hope I am considered an intermediate swimmer at this but I'm not sure?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Thanks everyone + interesting to read. Everyone at my race crawled the whole race except me.. At least those in front of me... But the running felt better, I don't think anyone ran past me except in the start. Guess I will have to work on the swimming til the next summer. I had a hard time crawling the long distances when I was already out of breath. Also felt like I wasn't going completely straight. And ye I agree with the relative thing, not that I was surprised at all by this but it was a big difference from a regular pool (of course). Felt like going from being one of the best to one of the worst. My last 5k was 21:00 so I can't do a 20:00 everytime but maybe every third time I run or so. My best recent 10k run is 43:45 but I'm usually at 47:00 maybe. I live in Sweden so I think it should be meters, sometimes my shorter distance times varies from pool from pool but the long distance times are the same. I have a good group that I'm gonna swim with in the autumn and winter so gonna stick with that for the forseeable future. I don't know exactly what a pool event is but in the forseeable I will probably try to repeat the swimrun or try some open water swim race.
  • Former Member
    I live in Sweden so I think it should be meters, sometimes my shorter distance times varies from pool from pool but the long distance times are the same. I have a good group that I'm gonna swim with in the autumn and winter so gonna stick with that for the forseeable future. I don't know exactly what a pool event is but in the forseeable I will probably try to repeat the swimrun or try some open water swim race. I'll do Vidösternsimmet next year, are you going to do that? Also do you do Lostwater Race as well?
  • Former Member
    I'll do Vid�sternsimmet next year, are you going to do that? Also do you do Lostwater Race as well? This was my first swim related race ever but I'm gonna look those up
  • I can't either at 64 year old. The most yardage that I have done in workouts is 2,000 this year. Usually between 800 to 1600 yards. I like doing all four strokes and not all freestyle. Probably, breaststroke the most since I like kicking breastbone on the board. Unlike Michael Andrew going 15 seconds on each 25 yard is too hard for me as well. I do 25 yards at 30 to 1 minute rest. In fact the workouts sometimes they give I couldn't do in my 40's either when I still did a 1:34 100 yard breaststroke. I have swim one 200 yard fly at 4:50 in workouts.

• Everything is relative, really. If you are a triathlete or swimmer/runner, those times are quite respectable. If you are competing in just swimming events, you won't win Nationals, but you know, who cares? What are your goals? If you were a non-swimmer who just recently got into swimming a few years ago, then 1:20 is pretty good for 100 meters. I am a former swimmer who got back into swimming as an adult after a long layoff, and my masters' best is 1:10 and change, but I'm in my 60s. You didn't say how old you are, so that is another factor.