How good of a swimmer am I?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been lifting weights + running for a few years and have been swimming on and off for a couple of years. Last season I ramped up my swimming slightly to maybe 2000 meters 3 times per week. I'm gonna try a swimrun in about a month and have tried to increase my swimming to 4 times per week during the summer. I can do a 5k run in 20 mins if I max it so I think the running is fine but I don't know about my swimming. Best 100 meters time 1:20 (was few months ago, maybe I could increase it to 1:15 by now) I get really tired by it but I can do 3 intervalls of 100 meters at 1:30. With 1:30 rest. Longest crawl 1k (was really hard) 19 minutes I have tried to make a 400 meter swim in 7 minutes twice in the last week but had bad days both times and got like 7:30. I hope I am considered an intermediate swimmer at this but I'm not sure?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    See my sig. Many people say that I am a "good" newbie swimmer. :) My 100m is the same as yours, but I've been slogging sessions at the pool since early 2019. I'm sure your 400m will be the same as mine soon enough if you keep at it. I sense that you have "speed" but not "endurance" yet. Good info =) And very good pace at 400 and 800 in my opinion =) You are completely right because my best 25s and 50s are about 15.2 (not fully rested) and like 33 or something on 50 but I don't stand a chance against you at 400 and 800 at the moment. But I'd be very happy if I reached the same pace in the future =). Will see how much time I will be able to put into it.
  • Former Member
    See my sig. Many people say that I am a "good" newbie swimmer. :) My 100m is the same as yours, but I've been slogging sessions at the pool since early 2019. I'm sure your 400m will be the same as mine soon enough if you keep at it. I sense that you have "speed" but not "endurance" yet.
  • In swimming the adjective “good” is relative, but no matter how fast you become thereâ€Tms always room for improvement
  • Where do you live? Is joining masters swim team a possibility for you?
  • Former Member
    In swimming the adjective “good” is relative, but no matter how fast you become thereâ€Tms always room for improvement Agree wholeheartedly!! See the second part of my sig!! :) (I was careful to put "good" in quotations. I have no illusions that I am anything other than a newbie *** in the grand scheme.)
  • If you can get up and down the pool with relative ease and enjoy doing it, I would argue you are a great swimmer. Compared to Michael Phelps, I am not good. Compared to the rest of my masters age group, I am halfway decent. Like Steve said, it really is all relative.
  • I am a 79 year old female. Have medaled at Nationals. I need new workouts but I can't do a 2500 yd workout in an hour!!
  • The more time you put into the swimming aspect of this, the better your endurance will be. Are you aiming to do pool events in U S M S in the future?
  • Former Member
    I've been lifting weights + running for a few years and have been swimming on and off for a couple of years. Last season I ramped up my swimming slightly to maybe 2000 meters 3 times per week. I'm gonna try a swimrun in about a month and have tried to increase my swimming to 4 times per week during the summer. I can do a 5k run in 20 mins if I max it so I think the running is fine but I don't know about my swimming. Best 100 meters time 1:20 (was few months ago, maybe I could increase it to 1:15 by now) I get really tired by it but I can do 3 intervalls of 100 meters at 1:30. With 1:30 rest. Longest crawl 1k (was really hard) 19 minutes I have tried to make a 400 meter swim in 7 minutes twice in the last week but had bad days both times and got like 7:30. I hope I am considered an intermediate swimmer at this but I'm not sure? I consider myself an intermediate swimmer. Your times are mostly the same as mine (except the 100 m) - which I consider not good because I'm in the slow lane of a triathlon club swim squad. My fastest 1.5 km freestyle in a LC pool is just under 29 minutes, roughly corresponding to your 19 minutes 1 km, and my fastest 400 m is about 7'9" However, my absolute fastest 100 m is 1'30" which can't be repeated. I can keep 1'47" on 8x100 on 2' intervals. All these, apart from the 100 m time which is done recently, are winter times when the pool is cold enough (below 68°F). In addition I have done a 14 km OW race in 5:14 hours. In comparison, my fastest 5k run time is about 22 and a half minutes but that's 4 years ago. My recent 10k run time is about 46 and a half minutes which is comparable so I can't run as fast as you.