Evaluate my technique?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all. For an intro- I am a middle age fitness swimmer with no competitive experience. Hope to eventually find a masters team but on my own at the moment. My ultimate goal is to be able to swim at 1:30 pace for 1000y+. That is far off for me at this point as I clock in between 1:55-2:00 right now. Max is 1:36s (all according to my swim watch, no pace clock where I swim). I’d love to get some feedback on my technique. I watch a few YouTube swim channels but I’m not sure what would be best for me to work on next to improve. Hoping someone here could help! I do know I definitely need to work on general cardiovascular endurance. I generally breath every stroke if swimming greater than 200y, but switch sides each lap. I tired to catch a little of both sides in this DIY video but didn’t plan it out that well. https://youtu.be/xUOkLwwyc1k Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    A few things I noticed: 1) you're pulling with the arm almost straight, you need to practice the catch with a high elbow 2) your underwater stroke is at constant speed, it should be slow catch and then accelerate towards the back. 3) you're finishing the stroke too early, hand should exit below the butt 4) the hand is a bit turned to the side towards the end, instead of pushing the water you're cutting through it look for videos with catch-up drills using a snorkel, here's one, the interesting part starts at 2:00 or so www.youtube.com/watch happy swimming!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    A few things I noticed: 1) you're pulling with the arm almost straight, you need to practice the catch with a high elbow 2) your underwater stroke is at constant speed, it should be slow catch and then accelerate towards the back. 3) you're finishing the stroke too early, hand should exit below the butt 4) the hand is a bit turned to the side towards the end, instead of pushing the water you're cutting through it look for videos with catch-up drills using a snorkel, here's one, the interesting part starts at 2:00 or so www.youtube.com/watch happy swimming!
Children
No Data