Counting Flipturns as Strokes When Doing Hypos

Former Member
Former Member
For those of you who include hypos in their training, how many strokes do you count a flip turn to be? For example, say your doing a hypo that calls for a breath every 7 strokes. If you get only 2 strokes in after your last breath before you have to turn, do you resume counting after the turn at 3? Or do you consider the turn to count as 1 or more strokes? This is (obviously) not a super important topic. But something I think about all the time starring at the black line.
  • For those of you who include hypos in their training, how many strokes do you count a flip turn to be? For example, say your doing a hypo that calls for a breath every 7 strokes. If you get only 2 strokes in after your last breath before you have to turn, do you resume counting after the turn at 3? Or do you consider the turn to count as 1 or more strokes? This is (obviously) not a super important topic. But something I think about all the time starring at the black line. I count it as 1 stroke in short course and on rare occasions 2 strokes in long course. But also in your scenario, if I take 6 strokes in and flip and the flip turn makes "seven," I require myself to take an additional stroke at the breakout before I take that breath. The goal being to not fall in a habit of breathing first thing off the turn!
  • I count the turn as 2 strokes when I used to do what you are doing. I have to add a personal "caveat" to what Calvin said about not breathing out of the turn. If you are surfacing before the flags, I agree with Calvin. However, if you are surfacing at 7-9 yards off the wall and kick through the break-out, I say breathe right away. Sometimes breathing is under-rated. :)