How do I improve my 200 Butterfly?

Yes, I'm back again with yet another request for video feedback on my fly. :rolleyes: It may not look like it, but I have worked hard trying to improve my fly technique and speed. I train on my own, so I am grateful for you all who coach me by (online) committee! Thank you!! As I mentioned in the 2020 goal thread, I am trying to improve my 200 fly time. My best ever was in the low 3:50's back in 2012, and my best in 2019 (at age 57) was 4:10.62. Both were ridiculously slow-- not even on the motivational chart as a "B". :cane: Although I would love to get back under 4:00, I would be happy to just get on the motivational chart as a "B" with a 4:02.57. I have increased my fly training yardage to anywhere from 400-700 yards of my 2,500 yd (av.) workout that I typically do six times per week. Twice per week, my fly is a USRPT set where I am doing 50's on 1:20 (decreasing the interval as I get closer to meet time) and making 1:01 as my fail time. Otherwise, fly gets worked in as part of 400 IM training or sprint training for the 50 and 100 fly. (My core stroke is breaststroke, so I am doing the same for breaststroke on as well.) In addition to pool work (including body dolphin sets with fins), I have been working on strength and flexibility during my post-swim on deck workouts. M-W-F, I do 100 military-style push-ups as sets of 15 with a fast set of 10 at the end. I also do 100 crunches or sit-ups. I follow that with Theraband sets that I learned in physical therapy. I finish with strength yoga poses that work mostly on the back and shoulders as well as stretching. (On alternate days, I focus just on flexibility and balance with my yoga with less emphasis on strength. This is a stretch that has helped my fly a lot: 12243 So, what next? I have great endurance when I swim fly slow with a long glide; however, when I try to speed up, I can't make a 200 without pauses at the wall. What else should I be doing with my technique and training to improve my time? The following are front view and back view videos of my fly while I was in Charleston. (Love those 50 meter pools!!!) https://youtu.be/t_-DInNBOs8 https://youtu.be/aSj1G4WQvNc
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    No problem- I am working on getting back in to coaching more and would REALLY like to coach masters, so this is good for me to- to see what resonates, to look at videos and try and offer an opinion and then hopefully hear back to see what worked and what did not!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    No problem- I am working on getting back in to coaching more and would REALLY like to coach masters, so this is good for me to- to see what resonates, to look at videos and try and offer an opinion and then hopefully hear back to see what worked and what did not!
Children
No Data