What Are Your 2020 Swim Goals?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm going to set out to learn and become skilled at backstroke and butterfly. Also, I have set a goal to become very good at 1500 freestyle. I have only swam that distance with flip turns once. What say you? What are your swim goals for 2020?
  • In the summer of 2019 I trained for, and swam my first "Marathon swim" (it ended up being close to seven miles). I plan on doing that same swim again in 2020. I didn't really cut back much on my mileage after that swim. And, I'd like to possibly do a swim of at least 10 miles in 2020..,.whether it's a sanctioned swim, or on my own with friends. Dan
  • Besides staying healthy, I have three main goals, everything else is icing on the cake: -Break 2:20 in the 200 fly (I've been plateaued in the low 2:20s for several years) -Break 2:30 in the 200 *** (I went a 2:30 in Mesa) -Break 2:00 in the 200 free (never broken 2:00 before, masters best from Mesa was a 2:01)
  • I would like to go 25 in the 50 yd fr again.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I've updated my signature. :) When I first started swimming in Feb 2019, I dreamed of sub 6min 400m at 60. (I'm 57.) I rapidly improved to 6:15 in September, and I changed my goal to sub 6min by the end of 2019. But then came The Great Stall, followed by shoulder soreness and staleness. It occurred to me that I had been going non-stop since Feb, and I needed a break. So I'm dreaming about sub 6min by the end of 2020 now. The seconds got a whole lot bigger!! :)
  • Former Member
    Thanks everyone for sharing some of your goals with me. Some seem pretty incredible, like ForceDJ's 10 miler. Wow. I hear you Skuj on the seconds getting bigger the closer you get to your goal, lol. I'm starting to set some base times to have something to refer too. I'm sure I'll start to experience bigger and bigger seconds :) After knee surgery and a series of steriod back injections I think they put me back together. But pool time I think will also help both of those things. I'm setting another goal in 2020. I'd like to do a 400 IM but I need to continue learning breaststroke, backstroke and fly. This is going to be quite the commitment. By the way, if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach a 400 IM the way I am doing I'd be very open to hear them. Thanks again. I wish everyone a Happy New Year!
  • Just keep on trucking. I'll be 72 next month and I was never a competitive swimmer to begin with. I lost 5 months of training in 2019 to ankle tendonitis, so I'd like to simply get in the yards. Only a bit over 100K yds in 2019 vs double that in prior years. Time per 100y or 200y is meaningless to me. I'm merely trying to stay healthy. And maybe a late summer triathlon if all goes well.
  • Former Member
    In 2019, I started swimming again and went from 350 pounds to 225 pounds. My 1650 went from a 28:52 to a 19:46. In 2020, I’d like to get the weight under 200 and the mile under 18:30.
  • Former Member
    In the summer of 2019 I trained for, and swam my first "Marathon swim" (it ended up being close to seven miles). I plan on doing that same swim again in 2020. I didn't really cut back much on my mileage after that swim. And, I'd like to possibly do a swim of at least 10 miles in 2020..,.whether it's a sanctioned swim, or on my own with friends. Dan My goal for 2019 was to swim my first "marathon swim", which I did it. I plan on doing another longer swim in 2020, but I am still thinking what swimming goal, should I make a time goal or a distance goal or both in 2020 in swimming (for running, my goal for 2020 is to do my first "marathon run", 42.195 km in length).
  • Finish 100yds fly in style (no piano please) and just to finish 100m fly (LC).