freestyle arm position and catch

Two questions: When maintaining a high elbow at catch, and when I've been dropping my elbow previously, am I right to assume that feeling the muscle opposite the bicep (back of upper arm) working more at catch and pull is a sign the catch position is better? Also, I've seen many references to "reaching over a barrel" in freestyle. Does this describe the arm above the water, under the water, or both? Thanks
Parents
  • Windmilling is not as efficient as high elbow, but it does poentially get the hand into the catch faster and also perhaps lead to a faster turn over. It can threfore be faster, but at the expense of needing more power generation, which is not sustainable for long. Big, strong elites can do it for a 50, some exceptional athletes for a 100.
  • Windmilling is not as efficient as high elbow, but it does poentially get the hand into the catch faster and also perhaps lead to a faster turn over. It can threfore be faster, but at the expense of needing more power generation, which is not sustainable for long. Big, strong elites can do it for a 50, some exceptional athletes for a 100.
Children
No Data