Working on 500 Free Time

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I just joined USMS last month. I swim for fitness, and I have been doing this for a long time. I am working on lowering my time in the 500 free because I would like to swim in meets someday. I train on my own almost exclusively, except for an occasional workout with a masters team. I have 2-3 hours a week to practice except during the summer months when I have a lot more time to train due to having summers off from my job as a teacher. My current time in the 500 free is 8:40. My goals are to bring this time down to under 8 minutes by the end of the year and to under 7 minutes by the end of next year. I am 6'1" and weigh 193 lbs. Any suggestions that will help me reach my goals are appreciated!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    On the 500, turns are your moneymakers. If you can really get your turns done well and fast, you can drop some easy time there. It sounds like you're on the right track with some of the concepts you're doing with the sets and your Tempo Trainer. One set I enjoy doing for 500 training is this: 1x 500 at 75-80% pace 5x100 on 1:30 (this allows about 12-15 seconds rest) 10x50 on :45 (or :50), aiming for :35 pace 1x 500 faster than the first Adjust these for your own times and as you improve, you can continue to adjust. When I do these, I work to keep the same pace for the 100s and 50s. It gets harder to maintain as the set goes on, but it helps build your endurance if you don't go out too quickly in the beginning. It also gives you a sense for pace as well. You'll start to feel when you are falling off of it. Also, don't be afraid to breathe every 2 strokes as you get further into your race. Your body needs air on these longer races - O2 depletion will suck the life out of you pretty quickly. Thanks for posting this set. I will try it next time I swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    On the 500, turns are your moneymakers. If you can really get your turns done well and fast, you can drop some easy time there. It sounds like you're on the right track with some of the concepts you're doing with the sets and your Tempo Trainer. One set I enjoy doing for 500 training is this: 1x 500 at 75-80% pace 5x100 on 1:30 (this allows about 12-15 seconds rest) 10x50 on :45 (or :50), aiming for :35 pace 1x 500 faster than the first Adjust these for your own times and as you improve, you can continue to adjust. When I do these, I work to keep the same pace for the 100s and 50s. It gets harder to maintain as the set goes on, but it helps build your endurance if you don't go out too quickly in the beginning. It also gives you a sense for pace as well. You'll start to feel when you are falling off of it. Also, don't be afraid to breathe every 2 strokes as you get further into your race. Your body needs air on these longer races - O2 depletion will suck the life out of you pretty quickly. Thanks for posting this set. I will try it next time I swim.
Children
No Data