Working on 500 Free Time

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I just joined USMS last month. I swim for fitness, and I have been doing this for a long time. I am working on lowering my time in the 500 free because I would like to swim in meets someday. I train on my own almost exclusively, except for an occasional workout with a masters team. I have 2-3 hours a week to practice except during the summer months when I have a lot more time to train due to having summers off from my job as a teacher. My current time in the 500 free is 8:40. My goals are to bring this time down to under 8 minutes by the end of the year and to under 7 minutes by the end of next year. I am 6'1" and weigh 193 lbs. Any suggestions that will help me reach my goals are appreciated!
Parents
  • You're asking great questions, Montana. You could look at improving the efficiency of your stroke - are there things you can do to improve that help push you through the water faster with the same or less effort? Is your hand entry good? Is your initial pull good? Do you finish with strength? To me, efficiency is more important than trying to increase stroke rate at this point, otherwise you will just be spinning your arms and getting tired. A good coach can help you with this, but it's going to take time. Focus on one, maybe two things, each month and get your muscle memory strong, then work on another area.
  • You're asking great questions, Montana. You could look at improving the efficiency of your stroke - are there things you can do to improve that help push you through the water faster with the same or less effort? Is your hand entry good? Is your initial pull good? Do you finish with strength? To me, efficiency is more important than trying to increase stroke rate at this point, otherwise you will just be spinning your arms and getting tired. A good coach can help you with this, but it's going to take time. Focus on one, maybe two things, each month and get your muscle memory strong, then work on another area.
Children
No Data