200m Pacing: Even? Positive Split?

Former Member
Former Member
I have read various swimming books that tout even-pacing for 200m as the best way to go. So, using my very modest goals as an example, if I want to swim 3:04, I should aim to do 46sec every 50m. (Diving in would likely make the first 50m faster, but let's assume that I am pushing off for this discussion.) But I'm beginning to wonder if something like 44.5 - 45.5 - 46.5 - 47.5 = 3:04 is the better way for me to get to 3:04. In running, the 800m is typically performed in a positive-split fashion, due to energy requirements for the event. A 2:00 runner (hey, that was me!!) would likely do 58.5 - 61.5 halves. Rather than kicking the last 200m, you would basically try to hang on, or minimize the fade. I sense that the 200m swim should have the same characteristics. At the WR level, the duration is close to 800m running. (I suppose that if I was able to examine the 50m splits on various elite 200m swims, I would have the answer to this, but I haven't been able to dig this information up yet.) Anyway....I've been stuck at 3:05 for 3 weeks in a row, utilizing quite even splits. On my 3:04 (or 3:03?) attempt tomorrow, I'm aiming to do the positive split. It's not "sexy" to be "just trying to hang on" on the last 50m, but I am wondering if this is the way to a faster 200m. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • This post speaks to me. Thanks. All of this is theory. What should we aim to do? The rest is the real world. What will you do, given your fitness and ideas? You went 1:13/1:24 at first. May I ask what your splits are in your best 200? My best that I could find was 1:02.5/1:06.8. No 50 splits available.
  • This post speaks to me. Thanks. All of this is theory. What should we aim to do? The rest is the real world. What will you do, given your fitness and ideas? You went 1:13/1:24 at first. May I ask what your splits are in your best 200? My best that I could find was 1:02.5/1:06.8. No 50 splits available.
Children
No Data