HIIT & USRPT comparisons

I would like some comparisons between HIIT and USRPT. Differences and similarities. How would a beginner (with good technique and previous training, and moderate amount of conditioning) begin? Thank you
  • What event are you training for? Different things work differently for different people. Do some of each for a while and see how you feel. USRPT alone really didn't translate into improvement for me in the 50 or 100 fly. Something about spending five to ten minutes alternating between swimming and gasping for air doesn't seem race-specific to me. For me it would probably be more appropriate for a 200 free, where each repeat is not so close to 100% effort and I breathe more than three times per length. HIIT is just not swimming long slow stuff. I like to drop the second "I" and just swim at high intensity. When you catch your breath you're pretty much good to go again. What really works for me is having a good coach, picking things up, putting them down, and practicing the actual races.
  • What really works for me is having a good coach, picking things up, putting them down, and practicing the actual races. Agreed.
  • Ok so every time I edit a post using Android it immediately deletes it. Original: All you need to do to make a HIIT without is take a regular workout and write FAST!! in a few places. Maybe underline it. Edit: I should mention that I haven't looked at the forum workouts in a few years. But I've seen enough FAST!! written randomly on poolside whiteboards to suggest that there is very little consensus on what HIIT actually means. 1000 warmup with like 800 of it pull 4x500 pull with twenty seconds rest 25 or less easy kick 300 FAST!! 10x200 IM because it's badass to put in some IM even if no one does the fly fly 4x100 FAST!! where fast means REGULAR SPEED WITH PADDLES 200 cooldown/not kidding anyone
  • Same thing just happened to me, tried to make a change and it was deleted. For real high intensity workouts go to the high intensity workout thread and keep looking back until you find workouts by The Fortress. As I said that was deleted. USRPT is good for many things, but it doesn't develop lactic acid tolerance.