What is your typical warmup for a session or a race?

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I tried an 800m (16:55) + 8x25m on 1min (start with 27sec, gradually get to 21sec) tonight, and I loved it. I'd previously thought that 800m was excessive, but I need 15min+ of easy swimming to really feel right. It takes me a looooong time to warmup. I love the 25m. I adjust the pace to whatever it is I am trying to do post warmup. (Tonight it was a 41sec 50m.) ***Replies to self*** I gravitated away from, then came back to what I said in this quote. It might sound too simple, but an easy 800m, followed by a bunch of 25m, makes a lot of sense to me. Also, as mentioned in this thread, I have been very surprised to find that some walls are grippy, and some are slippery. Additionally, it has surprised me that the T is not universally located. Every damn pool seems to be different with the distance from the T to the wall. It makes me laugh when many flip-turn videos talk about "the T", as if it is universally located the same way.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I tried an 800m (16:55) + 8x25m on 1min (start with 27sec, gradually get to 21sec) tonight, and I loved it. I'd previously thought that 800m was excessive, but I need 15min+ of easy swimming to really feel right. It takes me a looooong time to warmup. I love the 25m. I adjust the pace to whatever it is I am trying to do post warmup. (Tonight it was a 41sec 50m.) ***Replies to self*** I gravitated away from, then came back to what I said in this quote. It might sound too simple, but an easy 800m, followed by a bunch of 25m, makes a lot of sense to me. Also, as mentioned in this thread, I have been very surprised to find that some walls are grippy, and some are slippery. Additionally, it has surprised me that the T is not universally located. Every damn pool seems to be different with the distance from the T to the wall. It makes me laugh when many flip-turn videos talk about "the T", as if it is universally located the same way.
Children
No Data