tips for breathing and swimming comfortably with a snorkel?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to use a snorkel comfortably, preferably without a nose clip (because the noseclips keep falling off me). I use a Finis snorkel and either get water up my nose or have small bits of water accumulate in the snorkel. It's a little better when I exhale through my nose, but either way, water accumulates in places that make it uncomfortable to swim more than a 25. Even when I don't suck in little bits of water, it's really hard to get enough air, and I can feel myself panicking. After each lengths, I stop and empty little bits of water from my snorkel, and catch my breath. (I am an experienced competitive swimmer in good health, so I'm very comfortable in the water without a snorkel.) Even with a noseclip, it's uncomfortable. My son is just beginning winter swim team, and they will be using snorkels too. The coach advised for them not to use a noseclip, that they will get used to swimming without it. So I'm looking for advice for both myself and for my son, so we can use the snorkels comfortably. Any advice on breathing easier with snorkels would be much appreciated!
Parents
  • Thanks, everyone, for your kind and helpful replies. It sounds like it will get easier after an initial period of discomfort. No I have not tried flip turns yet - just one 25 at a time is all I can manage. Hoping everyone can answer a couple of followup questions -- When I breathed in through my mouth and out through my nose, I always got a little water inside the snorkel -- is this normal? This is why I stop every 25 (also because I feel short on air.) How do you do flip turns with a snorkel and not choke on water? Do you get less air with the snorkel (without the cardio cap) than normal breathing? Maybe this accounts for my feeling of air deprivation. Thanks again for your replies! I use my Finis snorkel a lot in practice: Drill sets, kick sets (in streamline without a kickboard), long pull sets (working on SPL) and for some speed work (25's & 50's). I first started using it several years ago at the suggestion of my coach to help correct crossing over with my left arm in freestyle - I did a lot of catch up drills with the snorkel allowing me to keep my head down and concentrate on my alignment. Once you get comfortable with it, I would suggest timing your breathing the same way as you would in your normal stroke cycle without the snorkel. Flip turns are no big deal; just exhale a little bit to form an air bubble in the snorkel just before you tuck your head.
  • Thanks, everyone, for your kind and helpful replies. It sounds like it will get easier after an initial period of discomfort. No I have not tried flip turns yet - just one 25 at a time is all I can manage. Hoping everyone can answer a couple of followup questions -- When I breathed in through my mouth and out through my nose, I always got a little water inside the snorkel -- is this normal? This is why I stop every 25 (also because I feel short on air.) How do you do flip turns with a snorkel and not choke on water? Do you get less air with the snorkel (without the cardio cap) than normal breathing? Maybe this accounts for my feeling of air deprivation. Thanks again for your replies! I use my Finis snorkel a lot in practice: Drill sets, kick sets (in streamline without a kickboard), long pull sets (working on SPL) and for some speed work (25's & 50's). I first started using it several years ago at the suggestion of my coach to help correct crossing over with my left arm in freestyle - I did a lot of catch up drills with the snorkel allowing me to keep my head down and concentrate on my alignment. Once you get comfortable with it, I would suggest timing your breathing the same way as you would in your normal stroke cycle without the snorkel. Flip turns are no big deal; just exhale a little bit to form an air bubble in the snorkel just before you tuck your head.
Children
No Data