Improving my kick on all strokes

Former Member
Former Member
I have always been terrible at kick, and I believe it holds me back, so I want to make some improvements. As an age group swimmer, we would train lots of 50m kick on 60 secs, and I would struggle at that pace, and now I am older and heavier than I was then. Physically I am 6'2" and about 225#, but my feet don't measure up at all at size 8, with a high arch and hammer toes. I don't want to make excuses, but this may be why my feet struggle to catch the water properly. I know this means I'm going to struggle, but I am looking to do the best with what I have. What should I do in training to: Improve feel for the water and effectiveness of kick? Greatly improve kicking endurance? Keep my kick "switched on" when doing full stroke? Are there other factors I should consider?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Feet all the way out of water if you it helps, thump thump thump - 24.6 second 50 yd kick only: www.youtube.com/watch I've heard getting the feet out of the water some helps to accelerate them faster on entry, and hence more propulsion force, and more splash. Underwater dolphins won't accelerate you much with a strong wall push off, but it will maintain a higher speed than glide alone. 3 or 4 kicks takes me out a few extra yards more than just gliding before I do a breakout at swim speed. Thanks for the advice. That kick video is ridiculous. There's no way I could ever get close to going that quick (probably not even as quick as the slower kickers). I'd just be happy to go a bit quicker than I do now. Maybe around 50-55 seconds per 50m for a longer set. I'm currently doing slightly over a minute.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Feet all the way out of water if you it helps, thump thump thump - 24.6 second 50 yd kick only: www.youtube.com/watch I've heard getting the feet out of the water some helps to accelerate them faster on entry, and hence more propulsion force, and more splash. Underwater dolphins won't accelerate you much with a strong wall push off, but it will maintain a higher speed than glide alone. 3 or 4 kicks takes me out a few extra yards more than just gliding before I do a breakout at swim speed. Thanks for the advice. That kick video is ridiculous. There's no way I could ever get close to going that quick (probably not even as quick as the slower kickers). I'd just be happy to go a bit quicker than I do now. Maybe around 50-55 seconds per 50m for a longer set. I'm currently doing slightly over a minute.
Children
No Data