Improving my kick on all strokes

Former Member
Former Member
I have always been terrible at kick, and I believe it holds me back, so I want to make some improvements. As an age group swimmer, we would train lots of 50m kick on 60 secs, and I would struggle at that pace, and now I am older and heavier than I was then. Physically I am 6'2" and about 225#, but my feet don't measure up at all at size 8, with a high arch and hammer toes. I don't want to make excuses, but this may be why my feet struggle to catch the water properly. I know this means I'm going to struggle, but I am looking to do the best with what I have. What should I do in training to: Improve feel for the water and effectiveness of kick? Greatly improve kicking endurance? Keep my kick "switched on" when doing full stroke? Are there other factors I should consider?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    This worked for me in the beginning: kickboard + the fastest kick one can muster for 25yds, or as far as possible, 15 yards, 20 yards, lots of rest for a strong start each 25. Sprinters kick their heels out of the water on a 6-stroke kick - this allows them to reach a higher speed for more propulsion in the down kick, and for me that engages the shins in the effort too. At first, it feels like a hugely exaggerated kick, but when it catches you'll feel the strong push. Work up over months to an all kick workout once in a while. When I started swimming again after 7 years off, couldn't swim any stroke fast at all. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. Could barely kick with speed past mid pool. But practice will improve a kick, it has mine, slowly, each week a little stronger and faster. A strong kick can take seconds off of a 25 time, or just reduce arm work during sets. At some point, try to learn to time the kick and reach/catch on opposing sides just right. Nathan Adrian talked about that in a video, and it works to give a little more propulsion. For butterfly and backstroke, practicing underwater dolphin kick, just 3 strokes off of each wall, can strengthen the core over time, improving all stroke kicks. I always try to do some dolphin kicks off the wall. I don't think it's any quicker for me than just gliding because my kick is so poor, but I try it anyway. When you say heels out of the water, I assume you mean just heels? I had a habit of lifting my foot out and thumping it back into the water, which creates a lot of splash, but probably makes the foot just slip straight through the water, rather than 'catching' the water and pushing me forwards. Doing more kick has made me more conscious of that, and I try not to lift my feet too high now. My times doing kick have improved a little too.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    This worked for me in the beginning: kickboard + the fastest kick one can muster for 25yds, or as far as possible, 15 yards, 20 yards, lots of rest for a strong start each 25. Sprinters kick their heels out of the water on a 6-stroke kick - this allows them to reach a higher speed for more propulsion in the down kick, and for me that engages the shins in the effort too. At first, it feels like a hugely exaggerated kick, but when it catches you'll feel the strong push. Work up over months to an all kick workout once in a while. When I started swimming again after 7 years off, couldn't swim any stroke fast at all. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. Could barely kick with speed past mid pool. But practice will improve a kick, it has mine, slowly, each week a little stronger and faster. A strong kick can take seconds off of a 25 time, or just reduce arm work during sets. At some point, try to learn to time the kick and reach/catch on opposing sides just right. Nathan Adrian talked about that in a video, and it works to give a little more propulsion. For butterfly and backstroke, practicing underwater dolphin kick, just 3 strokes off of each wall, can strengthen the core over time, improving all stroke kicks. I always try to do some dolphin kicks off the wall. I don't think it's any quicker for me than just gliding because my kick is so poor, but I try it anyway. When you say heels out of the water, I assume you mean just heels? I had a habit of lifting my foot out and thumping it back into the water, which creates a lot of splash, but probably makes the foot just slip straight through the water, rather than 'catching' the water and pushing me forwards. Doing more kick has made me more conscious of that, and I try not to lift my feet too high now. My times doing kick have improved a little too.
Children
No Data