Improving my kick on all strokes

Former Member
Former Member
I have always been terrible at kick, and I believe it holds me back, so I want to make some improvements. As an age group swimmer, we would train lots of 50m kick on 60 secs, and I would struggle at that pace, and now I am older and heavier than I was then. Physically I am 6'2" and about 225#, but my feet don't measure up at all at size 8, with a high arch and hammer toes. I don't want to make excuses, but this may be why my feet struggle to catch the water properly. I know this means I'm going to struggle, but I am looking to do the best with what I have. What should I do in training to: Improve feel for the water and effectiveness of kick? Greatly improve kicking endurance? Keep my kick "switched on" when doing full stroke? Are there other factors I should consider?
Parents
  • This worked for me in the beginning: kickboard + the fastest kick one can muster for 25yds, or as far as possible, 15 yards, 20 yards, lots of rest for a strong start each 25. Sprinters kick their heels out of the water on a 6-stroke kick - this allows them to reach a higher speed for more propulsion in the down kick, and for me that engages the shins in the effort too. At first, it feels like a hugely exaggerated kick, but when it catches you'll feel the strong push. Work up over months to an all kick workout once in a while. When I started swimming again after 7 years off, couldn't swim any stroke fast at all. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. Could barely kick with speed past mid pool. But practice will improve a kick, it has mine, slowly, each week a little stronger and faster. A strong kick can take seconds off of a 25 time, or just reduce arm work during sets. At some point, try to learn to time the kick and reach/catch on opposing sides just right. Nathan Adrian talked about that in a video, and it works to give a little more propulsion. For butterfly and backstroke, practicing underwater dolphin kick, just 3 strokes off of each wall, can strengthen the core over time, improving all stroke kicks.
  • This worked for me in the beginning: kickboard + the fastest kick one can muster for 25yds, or as far as possible, 15 yards, 20 yards, lots of rest for a strong start each 25. Sprinters kick their heels out of the water on a 6-stroke kick - this allows them to reach a higher speed for more propulsion in the down kick, and for me that engages the shins in the effort too. At first, it feels like a hugely exaggerated kick, but when it catches you'll feel the strong push. Work up over months to an all kick workout once in a while. When I started swimming again after 7 years off, couldn't swim any stroke fast at all. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. Could barely kick with speed past mid pool. But practice will improve a kick, it has mine, slowly, each week a little stronger and faster. A strong kick can take seconds off of a 25 time, or just reduce arm work during sets. At some point, try to learn to time the kick and reach/catch on opposing sides just right. Nathan Adrian talked about that in a video, and it works to give a little more propulsion. For butterfly and backstroke, practicing underwater dolphin kick, just 3 strokes off of each wall, can strengthen the core over time, improving all stroke kicks.
Children
No Data