Improving my kick on all strokes

Former Member
Former Member
I have always been terrible at kick, and I believe it holds me back, so I want to make some improvements. As an age group swimmer, we would train lots of 50m kick on 60 secs, and I would struggle at that pace, and now I am older and heavier than I was then. Physically I am 6'2" and about 225#, but my feet don't measure up at all at size 8, with a high arch and hammer toes. I don't want to make excuses, but this may be why my feet struggle to catch the water properly. I know this means I'm going to struggle, but I am looking to do the best with what I have. What should I do in training to: Improve feel for the water and effectiveness of kick? Greatly improve kicking endurance? Keep my kick "switched on" when doing full stroke? Are there other factors I should consider?
Parents
  • Do more kick sets. Sounds trite, but that's really it. End practice a couple times a week with something like 5x100s kick on an interval that's relatively challenging and try to work that interval down 5 seconds every few weeks or month. No fins! Also, work on your ankle flexibility. IMO that has more effect on kicking ability than size of feet.
  • Do more kick sets. Sounds trite, but that's really it. End practice a couple times a week with something like 5x100s kick on an interval that's relatively challenging and try to work that interval down 5 seconds every few weeks or month. No fins! Also, work on your ankle flexibility. IMO that has more effect on kicking ability than size of feet.
Children
No Data