Breaststroke Starts and Turns

In a recent 50 meter breaststroke swim, the guy next to me came out of the dive and pullout about 3/4 to one full body length ahead of me (I am in the red trunks in the 'bottom' lane, he is one lane above me in the video). I caught him at the wall, but on the turn, he regained his big lead. Again, I almost caught him, but he touched me out by about .48. I am not that concerned with getting beat (nor any disresepct to this fellow swimmer), but would just like to know what I am doing wrong on the start and turn (the former I get almost no practice on). I definitely did the one dolphin kick in both directions. FYI...he did happen to be about 6 inches taller than me...I am 5-9, he appeared to be about 6-2 or 6-3; however, I am doubting that that is the whole story. Here is a link to the video. https://youtu.be/P6Js3VpPr_0 Again, I am in the red suit near the bottom of the screen. Any other observations, not just about the dive and turn, but anything else, is welcome.
Parents
  • Allen, thanks for your expertise. One follow up question: What do you mean by "keep the head in the neutral position?" Does it have something to do with keeping it aligned with the rest of the body? Are there any drills for accomplishing this?
  • Allen, thanks for your expertise. One follow up question: What do you mean by "keep the head in the neutral position?" Does it have something to do with keeping it aligned with the rest of the body? Are there any drills for accomplishing this?
Children
No Data