Sorry if this is kind of gross, but what about bathroom during OW events?

So I've got several open water events this summer. The last time I did an open water event. it was a 5 mile swim, so 2.5-3 hours in the water. The question I have is...excuse me.. but what if I need to have a bowel movement during the swim? Or do you guys do something to avoid needing a bowel movement? IDK a laxative the day before to clean yourselves out? It was really distracting during my last event. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks. 

• To begin with…IMO you don’t need to apologize for broaching the subject. It’s something pretty much all long-distance athletes deal with. I can’t say that in all my years of open water swimming that I personally have not encountered this problem (I did a few times while running Marathons). Yet I can sympathize with you. That would be really distracting…especially if you have ‘miles’ remaining in the swim. I’m a person who generally goes 1x per day, in the morning. And, whether it’s ‘real’ or not…coffee “gets me going.” So, on days when I have athletic events, I purposely get out of bed at least a couple of hours before the start of the event, and get my morning going with coffee and everything else…including a relaxing read of the news. Usually it works, and I’m well voided, and comfortable throughout whatever multi-hours event I’m participating in. 

Dan

• Thank you, I'll try getting up a little earlier to void before going to the events this year. 

• Well, I have had this situation in the Tampa Bay Swim. My coach instructed me and it worked just fine for me and my fellow swimmers.  Let the boat get a littl ahead of you, pull your suit aside, do your thing, and take off. Poop floats! so watch out. It's good if there's a little current and you are facing into it. Happy swimming!

• Well, I have had this situation in the Tampa Bay Swim. My coach instructed me and it worked just fine for me and my fellow swimmers.  Let the boat get a littl ahead of you, pull your suit aside, do your thing, and take off. Poop floats! so watch out. It's good if there's a little current and you are facing into it. Happy swimming!

• I have considered this, but I don't think this is reasonable in lake swims. Thank you though.