Swim skins

I'm going to be swimming in Greece in the Aegean Sea in June, and doing a river race in MD this May.  I'm not interested in speed - but protection from sea lice, jelly fish (not likely this time of year) and anything else that might be in my vicinity.   I was planning to swim the May race with a sleeveless wet suit - I purchased a long sleeve one for Greece, but now I see that the water temps may be too warm for a wet suit so I am looking at swim skins. 

My question- for swimming 1.5-2 miles in the morning and afternoon, considering comfort and bio needs- would you recommend a swim skin that is sleeveless and short legged (up to knee) - or a full body long sleeve, long leg pant?  And any recommendations of lower cost options/locations to consider? 

Thanks -   

Parents
  • Here’s another option — SAFE SEA lotion. I’ve used it for several seasons and am happy with the results. My neighborhood open-water swim location is mid-Narragansett Bay (RI) and gets lots of “sea lice” (jellyfish larva) for a couple weeks twice every summer. When they’re blooming, it can be akin to being swarmed by mosquitos. They (the larva) sting doesn’t hurt, but a day later they’re like mosquito bites, and will itch for days. Others (who aren’t open water swimmers) have suggested using a wetsuit. But here’s the thing. The larva inflict their little sting when they get trapped…in hair, skin folds, swimsuit waistbands, etc. So, if you’re wearing anything…like swim skins…they’re going to get in there and give you that little “mosquito bite” sting. Personally, if I was wearing a wetsuit/skin suit in waters with the larva I’d still use the lotion on my whole body. If you’re NOT wearing anything…at least they have to opportunity to un-attach from you without the sting. AND/OR…you can use the Safe Sea lotion. I can attest that it works for the larva. My swims are generally 2-miles or more and an application lasts that long for me. I can’t say how well it works against full grown stinging jellyfish. I haven’t come in contact with any. Or…if I did…the lotion worked so well that I didn’t notice any sting. If you do use the lotion instead of swim skins, make sure you apply the stuff anywhere the larva can get trapped — under and around swimsuit waistband (or chest/arm for female suits), chest/armpit/pubic hair, under watchband, around/under edge of swim cap, goggle strap on exposed facial skin, etc. Here’s are a couple links for the lotion. I’ve never seen it in stores, but it might be somewhere.  — 

Good luck. 

Dan

• Much appreciated advice!  Thank you!

Reply Children
No Data