Elbow Pain

I have recently resumed heavy training mileage in anticipation of some long distance swims this summer. I have moderate shoulder pain but the real problem I am having is pain associated with my elbow. I breathe to my left and the pain is with the right elbow. Does anyone have experience with that same type of pain. Any recommendations on dryland exercises?
  • Possible medial epicondylitis from repetitive flexion and pronation during freestyle pull. Other than bands that displace the effective insertion site of tendon, motrin, rest, I don't know of anything else. Stewart Carrol in Texas had surgery but don't know how it affected him or if he would recommend.
  • I get this whenever I up my mileage too drastically. Only thing that works for me is motrin & acetominophin and I wear one of those snuggly black neoprene sleeves. I've also got arthritis in this elbow, so I've got that working against me too. ;)
  • I worked with a PT to correctly diagnose where my weakness was and it was in my shoulder--all the muscles that keep the scapula stable.  The pain showed up in the front of my shoulder and my inner elbow.  I am working to strengthen those muscles.  It seems to be helping.   I would recommend getting evaluated by a PT who sees athletes. 

• I have had those problems in the past.  I ended up getting physical and occupational therapy to work on reducing, and then eliminating the pain.  Also ibuprofen works for me.  Since I do not know what is the cause of your pain, I don't know what you what exercises will work for you.  You should seek a medical professional to make that determination as they may need to take images of the affected joints in order to make a diagnosis.  You would be best to seek out a sports injury doctor for the best outcome.  What a sports injury doctor and a general practitioner will order for treatment will be very different.