Best very dark open water goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Iâ€Tmm looking for a pair of goggles with very dark lenses for outdoor swimming. Iâ€Tmm extremely light sensitive, so the darker the goggles are the better. I have tried several brands mirrored options and they vary quite a bit. The sunglasses I wear during a triathlon are dark red. That is the color that works best for my eyes, but I havenâ€Tmt found any swim goggles with a red tint. What are some goggles you have tried that have dark lenses, maybe even too dark for you? They would probably work great for me!
  • I'm also sensitive to light and love AquaSphere Kayenne polarized. But goggle choice is so personal, good luck! us.aquasphereswim.com/.../goggles-kayenne-polarized.
  • I use the plain Speedo Vanquisher. I have a few different tint levels (they have clear, very light, moderate, and very dark). Very light sensitive, as well, but I only use the darkest ones when I am doing open water swimming and know that I'll be swimming into a sun that is somewhat low in the sky. If there is any hint of cloud cover or fog, they are too dark to effectively spot. Of course, an outdoor pool will probably be a lot worse, so not sure what the application is. Haven't done laps in an outdoor pool since I was a kid.
  • I second the AquaSphere Kayenne goggles, but would also have you look at Roka's goggles. They used to have an area on their website that showed the difference between the goggles, but couldn't find it with a quick scan. www.roka.com/.../r1-goggle
  • Speedo Vanquisher is my best fit and quality goggle. The dark ones are great for spotting in open water and keeping the glare down/
  • Speedo Vanquisher is my best fit and quality goggle. The dark ones are great for spotting in open water and keeping the glare down/ +1 I use the Vanquisher mirrored goggles ... I'm still using the pair I bought back in January of 2014 pretty much every day, in the pool or in open water, training or racing. Once a month or so, I give them an overnight bath in a mixture of baby shampoo and water, and they are good as new and fog-free. I honestly don't know how Speedo makes money on goggles as they last FOREVER.