Smart Watches for Pool and Open Water

I've been relatively happy with my Garmin 920xt for the last four years, but looking to upgrade. What are the favorite Smart Watches on the market today? I am primarily interested for pool and open water training (and events), and it would be great to be able to incorporate a heart rate monitor and a water-temperature gauge into the actual watch. It would be nice if it worked well for calculating kicking and one-arm (off arm) drill distances to get a better handle on TOTAL session distances. Connectivity to social fitness platforms would be fantastic. Any recommendations?
  • PWB, have you had enough use with your swim 2 to comment on its accuracy and precision related to calculated data yet? Not only for logging info for OW swims, but Iâ€Tmve been looking for a device which would provide quite specific details within a pool workout. For instance, a set of all out 25â€Tms that can graphically represent velocity or distance vs time.
  • PWB, have you had enough use with your swim 2 to comment on its accuracy and precision related to calculated data yet? Not only for logging info for OW swims, but Iâ€Tmve been looking for a device which would provide quite specific details within a pool workout. For instance, a set of all out 25â€Tms that can graphically represent velocity or distance vs time.Unfortunately, our pools aren't open here yet, so I can't yet comment on how well it works in the pool. I do quite enjoy it, though, in open water, but have yet to swim on any 'marked distance' course, so I also can't comment on its accuracy there. It seems realistic in the OW.
  • Question for those with the Garmin Swim 2. Here are the things I'd like to have: 1. Distance in open water swims 2. Real time heart rate monitor 3. COuntdown timer (for intervals in teh pool) If I could show 2 and 3 at the same time, I'd be beyond stoked. I had just given up on finding that after having looked for a long time, and either not being able to find one, or not being able to find a salesperson who knew enough to tell me how to set up one to do that.
  • Question for those with the Garmin Swim 2. Here are the things I'd like to have: 1. Distance in open water swims 2. Real time heart rate monitor 3. COuntdown timer (for intervals in teh pool) If I could show 2 and 3 at the same time, I'd be beyond stoked. You can customize the data that is shown on each screen. I just got mine and am not an expert, but I set my second 'data screen' for Open Water to show three fields - distance, elapsed time and heart rate. I think I just googled and found either the Garmin user guide/online help, or a video to show me how to change the data fields. As for the accuracy of each distance measured and heart rate, I'm not sure yet. I have no sense of what my pace should be in open water, especially after having been out of the water for 2-3 months, but it seems reasonable in terms of the distance
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I haven't tested it in the pool (thank you, COVID-19). It does seem accurate as far as HR goes. The main screen (open water swimming) shows time and distance, but I think you can scroll to HR. It buzzes and chirps every 500yds. I have been having some issues with it accurately tracking my in-water distance, but I'm going to play around with it - I wonder if it's confused when I switch strokes.
  • You can customize the data that is shown on each screen. I just got mine and am not an expert, but I set my second 'data screen' for Open Water to show three fields - distance, elapsed time and heart rate. That would be perfect. I did go ahead and grab one, used it Thursday night in an open water swim. I would like to see for pool swimming just heart rate and timer (i.e. interval/countdown timer). Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out this, only the presets. And I really don't care how many steps per day I take! Especially since I only wear it when I swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I have Garmin Swim 2, I have had it for about 5 months - like it but Garmin support isnâ€Tmt the best. Useful for the pool, handy way of recording splits. Don't bother with the autolap feature.It can be set to automatic rest if you are doing intervals which is nice. Three complaints: 1)In open water it overcounts stroke work. 2) In lap swimming it doesnâ€Tmt count kicking with a board. 3) In laps it sometimes counts flipturns as extra yardage.
  • Just following up with my experience with the Apple Watch for open water swims. The watch works well, links easily to Strava and other sites so you can see your map and stats. But it has a major flaw in that the battery only lasts 5.5 hours with the GPS on. This happened in my watch and in the watch of a friend with a barely week old watch. Very disappointing. It's possible that if I turned off all other services it would last longer, will test that out next time I'm in for a long day. Lyn