36km swim in Italy, Capri to Naples, Need some help!

Former Member
Former Member
Hello swimming community! I wanted to reach out and get some advice for a 36km swim I am planning on doing in July 2020. I was a college swimmer and did long distance open water swimming in my mid 20s, including the Strait of Gibraltar and a 16 mile swim in Peru. I then went to medical school and residency and have only been swimming has taken a bit of a back burner. I've rejoined masters and was planning on getting my work-outs up to about 20km per week by January, 30km per week by April. I'll do some longer swims in the pool, but the ocean in Los Angeles is a bit too cold for me to do many longer ocean swims in June. The Capri-Napoli swim should be about 74 degree water, which is great. Any recommendations for training? Or does this seem too ambitious? Thank you so much!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Hello swimming community! I wanted to reach out and get some advice for a 36km swim I am planning on doing in July 2020. I was a college swimmer and did long distance open water swimming in my mid 20s, including the Strait of Gibraltar and a 16 mile swim in Peru. I then went to medical school and residency and have only been swimming has taken a bit of a back burner. I've rejoined masters and was planning on getting my work-outs up to about 20km per week by January, 30km per week by April. I'll do some longer swims in the pool, but the ocean in Los Angeles is a bit too cold for me to do many longer ocean swims in June. The Capri-Napoli swim should be about 74 degree water, which is great. Any recommendations for training? Or does this seem too ambitious? Thank you so much! I recommend getting some longer open water swims in on your own - are there any lakes you can swim in? This sounds like it will be a very tough swim for you, but without more information on your background it's hard to know how tough. Are you planning on taking it "easy" and just trying to finish, or looking at it as a race? Also, it depends if that 20-30km per week is real quality efforts or just easy swimming. I've looked into this swim before, it sounds fantastic.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Hello swimming community! I wanted to reach out and get some advice for a 36km swim I am planning on doing in July 2020. I was a college swimmer and did long distance open water swimming in my mid 20s, including the Strait of Gibraltar and a 16 mile swim in Peru. I then went to medical school and residency and have only been swimming has taken a bit of a back burner. I've rejoined masters and was planning on getting my work-outs up to about 20km per week by January, 30km per week by April. I'll do some longer swims in the pool, but the ocean in Los Angeles is a bit too cold for me to do many longer ocean swims in June. The Capri-Napoli swim should be about 74 degree water, which is great. Any recommendations for training? Or does this seem too ambitious? Thank you so much! I recommend getting some longer open water swims in on your own - are there any lakes you can swim in? This sounds like it will be a very tough swim for you, but without more information on your background it's hard to know how tough. Are you planning on taking it "easy" and just trying to finish, or looking at it as a race? Also, it depends if that 20-30km per week is real quality efforts or just easy swimming. I've looked into this swim before, it sounds fantastic.
Children
No Data