Drafting

What is the biggest speed difference that can be made up by drafting? In other words, if I am say a 1:40/100 swimmer, can I stay with someone swimming a 1:20/100 pace in their draft?
  • It's as much about saving energy as it is speed. So if you can get in the slipstream of someone who is at yoru pace or a bit better, it costs them energy to pull you. On the corollary, it allows you to swim in less choppy water and less friction (think about how you can get sucked in driving behind a semi). You should tag onto someone who is running at a speed where you can keep up at a good, pace you can sustain. The end is where it really makes up the difference. You're slightly less tired and will have some punch available for the last 1/4-1/2 mile where you can easily pass them without much of a fight. The thing to think about when you're drafting is sighting. You'll have to be aware that the person you're drafting off of may not be navigating well so continue to spot check where you're going. Experience talking here. I did a great speed drafting off of 2 people in a race in Jacksonville a few years ago only to find them taking a hard right to make a left hand buoy turn we were about to miss before the finish. We were about 75 yards off and had to backtrack and it cost all three of us. Ugh! This article talks about it saving 15-25% of your energy. The time will depend on the length of the race and your normal speed. www.220triathlon.com/.../10378.html
  • I'm not an expert on the matter, but to me, :20 seconds per 100 (meters?) seems a bit much. Since this is the Open Water forum...just some ballpark math indicates a 5k ~16:00 minutes faster with drafting. I dunno.... Dan