Lake Placid Cable Swim 2 mile record

See results of the 2 mile swim, Mirror Lake, Lake Placid, NY 1) Ryan Baker age 22, 39:31.9 Kinda fast, no? greenleafracing.com/.../
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I found the narrowness of the range of times surprising. Although 39:31 is a great time, of course, I would think that any sub-16:00 1650 swimmer would do better (uh... I just checked the USMS race database. Turns out that Chad La Tourettte is the only USMS swimmer in 2018 that bested 16:30 in either short course or long 1650 yd or 1500 M, Me being ignorant? Hard to imagine, innit?). But I would have expected to have a posse of people finishing under 50:00, but Baker was the only one. I would have also expected there to have been more than 1 person in the > 1:35 range. (which is what I would aspire to in the race.)
  • It's almost entirely Adirondack swimmers. Very few people come in from out of state since Placid is a pretty remote site.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    See results of the 2 mile swim, Mirror Lake, Lake Placid, NY 1) Ryan Baker age 22, 39:31.9 Kinda fast, no? greenleafracing.com/.../ He is the son of a friend of mine. He is an All-American at UVA. His best events are the 50-200 freestyles.
  • I found the narrowness of the range of times surprising. Although 39:31 is a great time, of course, I would think that any sub-16:00 1650 swimmer would do better (uh... I just checked the USMS race database. Turns out that Chad La Tourettte is the only USMS swimmer in 2018 that bested 16:30 in either short course or long 1650 yd or 1500 M, Me being ignorant? Hard to imagine, innit?). But I would have expected to have a posse of people finishing under 50:00, but Baker was the only one. I would have also expected there to have been more than 1 person in the > 1:35 range. (which is what I would aspire to in the race.) Remember that in open water, you do not get the benefit of wall push-offs, as well as dealing with navigation and currents, even in a cable swim and in a lake.