Best Swimsuit Material for Saltwater

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I've got an upcoming saltwater 10k. Is the standard polyester practice suit ok for this, or will there be chaffing? Thanks!
  • Put Desitin everywhere where the suit's seams will rub against your body. Also might want it around your underarms and neck.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Put Desitin everywhere where the suit's seams will rub against your body. Also might want it around your underarms and neck. Thanks for the tip! I've got a toddler who has plenty of that to share. Though I may get my own for sanitary purposes, haha.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Oh, good point. I hadn't thought about the resulting mess. Unless something goes terribly wrong, haha, I should be able to do the 10k in closer to three hours. Maybe I'll just give Vaseline a try. Thanks Lyn!
  • I use Desitin for sun protection and chafing if I'm going to be in the water over 4 hours, but otherwise, Aquaphor or Vaseline work well for chafing with much less mess. If you go with Desitin, bring baby oil (your toddler can probably spare a bit of that, too) and a cheap wash cloth to get it off. Ponds Cold Cream works, too. Enjoy your swim!
  • Yes, Vaseline or BodyGlide work well also. Make it thick. Be sure to get under your straps on your shoulders, shoulderblades as well as under your arms, on your nips and in the seams around your crotch. SolRX (online at Amazon) is worth every penny for sun protection. I used it for 6 hours in Key West and didn't burn a bit. It's a heck of a lot less messy than zinc.
  • Beware of vaseline on your chest if you are buxom! The girls tend to slip, slide around in the suit with each rotation.