29th Round the Sound: October 13

www.bows.bm/round-the-sound This is a charity related event 800M, 2K, 4K, 10K For information on events, contact events@bows.bm
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Anyone here done this before? I just signed up for the 10k somewhat on a whim. One last open water swim before I'm relegated to my pool in Vermont for the long winter.
  • I did the RTS several years ago & loved it. It's a wonderful weekend all around - swimming, socials, Bermuda, etc. The Grotto Bay Hotel is great, right on a bus route & 10 minutes from the airport. The host swim team (& parents) is well-organized and very hospitable. The swims had to be shortened the year I swam because of poor weather (hurricane season). I'm thinking of doing it again this year. Is there something specific you are wondering about?
  • This is a super fun, well run, and beautiful swim, highly recommended. If you can, go a few days early to join the pre-race swims.
  • I don't remember, and I think this year is a different route than when I did it. They bus you from the hotel to the start, & I don't think we stood around long before the race began.
  • Former Member
    I did the RTS several years ago & loved it. It's a wonderful weekend all around - swimming, socials, Bermuda, etc. The Grotto Bay Hotel is great, right on a bus route & 10 minutes from the airport. The host swim team (& parents) is well-organized and very hospitable. The swims had to be shortened the year I swam because of poor weather (hurricane season). I'm thinking of doing it again this year. Is there something specific you are wondering about? I've got one nagging concern based on some things I read, is it true there are no bathrooms at the start? I can't imagine how that would work with so many presumably nervous race participants standing around. But that's what the race organizers online FAQs seem to suggest!
  • Former Member
    This is a super fun, well run, and beautiful swim, highly recommended. If you can, go a few days early to join the pre-race swims. I was actually thinking of adding some days after the race so I can enjoy some of the local libations without worrying about its impact on the 10k, haha.
  • I've got one nagging concern based on some things I read, is it true there are no bathrooms at the start? I can't imagine how that would work with so many presumably nervous race participants standing around. But that's what the race organizers online FAQs seem to suggest! Don't be concerned, you can just jump in the water.
  • Former Member
    Don't be concerned, you can just jump in the water. Haha, touche. One last question now that I'm almost only a week out from the race, is there any reason to attend the practice swims the few days before the race? Obviously at this point you can either swim a 10k or you can't and I'm not sure what practice would be for!
  • Go only if you want to. It’d be good to jump in to get an idea of sighting or to just loosen up a bit. And it’s a good way to meet some people in a relaxed setting rather than on race day where people are more amped up and focused. There’s nothing like “vitamin sea” to soothe the soul.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. The race was a blast...great weather, well organized, and plenty of rum at the end.