Garmin Fenix 5 Opinions

Former Member
Former Member
Hello! I am looking to upgrade my Garmin Fenix and had my eye on the Fenix 5 for quite some time. However, upon reading reviews I am seeing that the GPS tracking for open water swims is terrible. Has anyone used this watch for open water distance swims? If so, what was your experience like? Worth the money? Thanks! Sami
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Yes it can be quirky. A couple of things that worked for me. Bring up the open water in the menu and give the watch a few minutes to link to the satellite even though it is green and is supposed to be linked. If your yardage looks short when you get back to shore, don't hit stop right away it will eventually catch itself up. The biggest problems I have had is at dawn and I swim behind mountains and trees so I suspect the it has problems the the sat and my location. The SUP and kayak apps are more accurate. I mark my course in my kayak then if the open water app has issues, I still have a decent approximation of my distance and my time. HTH
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Yes it can be quirky. A couple of things that worked for me. Bring up the open water in the menu and give the watch a few minutes to link to the satellite even though it is green and is supposed to be linked. If your yardage looks short when you get back to shore, don't hit stop right away it will eventually catch itself up. The biggest problems I have had is at dawn and I swim behind mountains and trees so I suspect the it has problems the the sat and my location. The SUP and kayak apps are more accurate. I mark my course in my kayak then if the open water app has issues, I still have a decent approximation of my distance and my time. HTH
Children
No Data