Open Water Swimming in Hawaii

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, My partner and I were planning a trip to Hawaii in February and we're visiting Oahu and The Big Island. We like to do long swims (up to and beyond 5K) and we are wondering if anyone has any experience, good routes and advice they could share on this topic. Thanks, DW
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    On Oahu I always swim at Ala Moana Park next to Waikiki. You have a 1000 yard beach that you can swim along. The beach is protected from waves by an underwater break water and you have approximately 50 yards of clear water parallel to the beach. If you start swimming from the right side (as you face the ocean) you can even swim in the dark while sighting on the tall building lights. Also, if you go to Ko'Olina you have 4 lagoons, ocean protected each about 175 yards wide, and separated from each other by 150 yards of grass to swim. I did a race there years ago where you swam the lagoons, ran in between and then ran 1.5 miles back to the beginning. Or you could swim out from Sans Souci and back to the shore. Everyplace else on Oahu the ocean can be very rough.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    On Oahu I always swim at Ala Moana Park next to Waikiki. You have a 1000 yard beach that you can swim along. The beach is protected from waves by an underwater break water and you have approximately 50 yards of clear water parallel to the beach. If you start swimming from the right side (as you face the ocean) you can even swim in the dark while sighting on the tall building lights. Also, if you go to Ko'Olina you have 4 lagoons, ocean protected each about 175 yards wide, and separated from each other by 150 yards of grass to swim. I did a race there years ago where you swam the lagoons, ran in between and then ran 1.5 miles back to the beginning. Or you could swim out from Sans Souci and back to the shore. Everyplace else on Oahu the ocean can be very rough.
Children
No Data