OWS not using freestyle.

I gave been struggling with a rotator cuff issue-making freestyle almost impossible. Backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke, over arm sidestroke (with good arm) are fine. I can make headway, but it does feel like cleaning a gym floor with a toothbrush. Is this practical for ~2-4 mile open water swims? I have an event coming up; and I have 2 (maybe more?) choices. Skip it (kind of important-don't really want to do that) or do it with theses non traditional strokes. I am not too concerned about time (other than falling too far behind and getting pulled from the race). Besides, if I can get through this under these circumstances, I will give myself all kinds of extra credit.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    How is it going? I use a nose clip and lost it in the lake during a training swim and had to swim back over a mile without getting my face wet, or risk a massive reaction. As has been said in other replies, consider enjoying the landscape and all that-- but also, that scissor kick from sidestroke is a seriously powerful kick. I learned combat sidestroke two years ago, and while I need practice, it is also very cool. The main thing I noticed about my face out return swim was that I had NOT prepared my muscles to work in those ranges of motion. Train for the potential strokes you may patch together. Feel better. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    How is it going? I use a nose clip and lost it in the lake during a training swim and had to swim back over a mile without getting my face wet, or risk a massive reaction. As has been said in other replies, consider enjoying the landscape and all that-- but also, that scissor kick from sidestroke is a seriously powerful kick. I learned combat sidestroke two years ago, and while I need practice, it is also very cool. The main thing I noticed about my face out return swim was that I had NOT prepared my muscles to work in those ranges of motion. Train for the potential strokes you may patch together. Feel better. :)
Children
No Data