Open Water Tech Suits

The Category designations for swimsuits confuse me. When combined with wetsuit temperature requirements, my head starts to spin. Can someone tell me where the suits pictured here fit within the USMS system: 116531165411655 Other than the elimination of the zipper (on the full body) and the addition of the FINA logo, are these much different than the pre-neoprene tech suits from the mid-2000s (Fastskins)? I've competed in several races recently with these suits showing up on some fast swimmers, and I'm not sure how they are classified, but I know that they are not being classified as wetsuits. Can anyone clear this up for me?
  • Check the individual races. Some don’t let you water wetsuits or any suit that’s below the knees
  • USMS 303.7.2B The swimmer shall wear only one swimsuit in one or two pieces. All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials and not contain clasps or zippers. For both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles.
  • For USMS sanctioned events, the race director shouldn't be allowed to ban these legal suits. If this is occurring it is because either I'm misreading the rule or the event director is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    USMS 303.7.2B The swimmer shall wear only one swimsuit in one or two pieces. All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials and not contain clasps or zippers. For both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles. Rob, are race directors allowed to prevent men from wearing suits that go to the ankles? I have read race information for some USMS races that say "men's suits may not extend below the knee or above the waist" I thought for USMS sanctioning, open water races had to follow FINA suit rules and allow men and women to wear the suits that extend from shoulders to ankles, so long as they don't have zippers or clasps. Thank you.