Polio victim plans to swim 32 mile Lake George, NY

Here's the story from the Saratoga news. ADMS member Louise Rourke will attempt to conquer Lake George with fellow ADMS swimmer Bridget Simpson! www.saratogian.com/.../woman-plans-to-swim-lake-george-in-campaign-to-eradicate-polio
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Hi Jack- just sent you a message, then saw your post here. :) Thanks for your interest in the swim Louise and I did in Lake George. I have to say- she was amazing- we met after my solo last year, and was a mile a day swimmer. I always mention the Betsy Owens swim as a great start in expanding horizons and meeting other distance swimmers- so many people think that standing in the lake is swimming. ;) Louise was intrigued by the thought that she could do the swim she had been excited by at age four, and started swimming a bit longer and longer, trying stroke adjustments to address her unique physiology, and had a great time. She was still on the fence in late winter, and I asked if she would be interested in leap frogging the lake- I'd never done a relay, but had been hearing of some wonderful adventures by other relay teams. About time I learned to share. :) Louise was delighted. We planned our own swim- I like English Channel rules, she planned to use her fin, and later tried a wetsuit, and had a blast with that. Rotary Int. used it as a focal point for a fundraising campaign, and we all had a great time. Louise set a steady, strong pace for each of her three legs- we each did six, five, and five miles, with Louise taking the first leg, and me the last- she did hop in at the end so we could reach Diane's Rock together. :D As a coach, it was such a treat to see a swimmer work to successfully complete such a cool goal, and maybe surprise herself. So often, I meet swimmers, enjoy visiting, and don't cross paths often if ever. As a swimmer, I was so pleased that Louise was able to have family on the boat for the relay. Her husband was the pilot, her son Devin and his wife paddled in the huge kayak rotation, and Devin kept touch with social media during the swim. I know it meant a lot to Louise- my elder son was able to paddle for me last year, and it was hugely helpful.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Hi Jack- just sent you a message, then saw your post here. :) Thanks for your interest in the swim Louise and I did in Lake George. I have to say- she was amazing- we met after my solo last year, and was a mile a day swimmer. I always mention the Betsy Owens swim as a great start in expanding horizons and meeting other distance swimmers- so many people think that standing in the lake is swimming. ;) Louise was intrigued by the thought that she could do the swim she had been excited by at age four, and started swimming a bit longer and longer, trying stroke adjustments to address her unique physiology, and had a great time. She was still on the fence in late winter, and I asked if she would be interested in leap frogging the lake- I'd never done a relay, but had been hearing of some wonderful adventures by other relay teams. About time I learned to share. :) Louise was delighted. We planned our own swim- I like English Channel rules, she planned to use her fin, and later tried a wetsuit, and had a blast with that. Rotary Int. used it as a focal point for a fundraising campaign, and we all had a great time. Louise set a steady, strong pace for each of her three legs- we each did six, five, and five miles, with Louise taking the first leg, and me the last- she did hop in at the end so we could reach Diane's Rock together. :D As a coach, it was such a treat to see a swimmer work to successfully complete such a cool goal, and maybe surprise herself. So often, I meet swimmers, enjoy visiting, and don't cross paths often if ever. As a swimmer, I was so pleased that Louise was able to have family on the boat for the relay. Her husband was the pilot, her son Devin and his wife paddled in the huge kayak rotation, and Devin kept touch with social media during the swim. I know it meant a lot to Louise- my elder son was able to paddle for me last year, and it was hugely helpful.
Children
No Data