Recruiting a kayaker

I’m eager to tackle some longer swims, but I have no friends or family members willing to paddle slowly next to me for a few hours. One friend tried on a windy day and didn’t last long. My teenage children almost sprained their eyeballs in the largest eye roll ever. Any tips on finding/hiring a good kayaker?
  • Your posting made me laugh! You seem to be near DC, which has a large kayaking community. Find a boathouse, a kayak shop, and/or a listserv for paddlers in the area and let them know what you need, and that you're willing to pay.
  • Just to clarify, I was laughing at the eye-rolling teenagers.
  • It is not really laughable. And DC is not really an open water swimming center; however the Chesapeake Bay is a major open water center and it is not by any means calm water. Finding kayakers is not easy. I live at the beach and know a ton of people who kayak. But they only will go out when the conditions are virtually flat and no wind. I gave up on kayakers a very long time ago. Choppy water is not fun if you are in a kayak on the water. The only ones I know who will come out if I paid, are the beach patrol people off season, and they will do either paddleboard or kayak. You might want to talk to the lifeguards, or the swim coaches at your local pools.. They probably know someone who would do it.
  • Thanks!! I will try those suggestions.